Sticker $$ shock on gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexlakeman

Reaction score
Not a complaint, just an observation... I walked into the local dive shop and I couldn't believe how expensive things are :( .... Masks? Nothing under $45-$60... fins? decent ones > $100++... snorkels $30++:shakehead:...

I don't think that it's the dive shop that was expensive b/c the cressi evo mask was only like 10% more than the price online, but I guess they just carry the high stuff, or the cheaper stuff is useless..

I was doing the math to equip my two kids and myself...omg! I ended up just ordering the mask....

I guess I have been out of diving for a while, lol..

ebay for the bc/regs

a good set of mask/fins/snorkle is $$$ but worth it IMO. They will last for a long time and make the experince more enjoyable...again, just my opinion.

Not a complaint, just an observation... I walked into the local dive shop and I couldn't believe how expensive things are :( .... Masks? Nothing under $45-$60... fins? decent ones > $100++... snorkels $30++:shakehead:...

I don't think that it's the dive shop that was expensive b/c the cressi evo mask was only like 10% more than the price online, but I guess they just carry the high stuff, or the cheaper stuff is useless..

I was doing the math to equip my two kids and myself...omg! I ended up just ordering the mask....

I guess I have been out of diving for a while, lol..

actually most prices have come down in recent years for things like masks especially! Our LDS used to sell several masks all over $100, now you can get just as good a mask for $40-60 price range. I get a new mask about every year and my old one becomes the spare I travel with. Snorkels have gone up as there are many now made as "dry" snorkels so they don't allow backflow of water (I have one, don't like it much). A good snorkel runs about $25 without all the special features!

Regulators are about the same price or a bit higher considering how much better they are now than 10-15 yrs ago when I got my first one. I paid alot and it wasn't even balanced and wet-breathed upsidedown! I now have a top of the line, but it wasn't even double the cost of my first one - quality wins out there!

BCs are another thing I think have gone up a bit in price but they have gotten more bells and whistles on them, integrated weights are standard now. In most cases I think you get what you pay for. I still have my original BC, it is now a backup or loaner for my daughter, and it looks almost new! I spent a bit more for it but it has proven to be flawless with hundreds of dive on it. My newest BC looks like it is brand new even though it is 3yrs and hundreds of dives as I take care of it!

robin:D

Buy used. The marketplace here on SB is a good source. Once you identify the type of equipment you want (jacket BC, BP/W, etc), then start searching used. Just be sure to rent several different styles to try them before you invest the money in your own gear.

Bought my fins, dive computer, and BC used. Got a 'new' reg from someone who had it but never used it. Bought my gloves and booties new but on sale. Mask/Snorkel were new. I'm still renting wetsuits.

No shame in renting it all for as long as you need to.

Good suggestions. My thoughts however lead me to suggest consideration of warranties and service. Particularly for the "Big" gear - BC, regs, computers. On-line purchases and e-bay deals may leave you with no recourse for service, repair or replacement. All of which could cost you far more money.

Most gear is a long term investment. Expensive at first, but could be good for 10-15-20 years or even more. My BC and regs are closing in on 20 years. Sure, as an instructor, I have added much to my dive locker for various reasons. Usually spending all my teaching earnings from the dive center on gear at the same dive center.

Puchases as your LDS are, or should be, fully backed by store and manufacturer warranty and service. Buy a car from the guy across town and you get what you get. Buy from a dealer and you can get warranty and service.

Dive gear is a long term investment rather than a short term expense IMHO.

My thoughts however lead me to suggest consideration of warranties and service. Particularly for the "Big" gear - BC, regs, computers. On-line purchases and e-bay deals may leave you with no recourse for service, repair or replacement. All of which could cost you far more money.

Agreed except since I bought my BC for $250 vs. $450, I figure the $200 I saved more then covers the costs of having my local LDS repair/service the BC. Most BC's don't require alot of 'repair', and I bought mine from someone I know and therefore knew it was well taken care of. My regs will need more attention over the years then anything, but again I paid $250 for both my NEW Titan LX and NEW octu, so the $300+ I saved will cover the costs for me.

Granted, there are some LDS's that have the elitest mentality that unless you bought it from them they don't want to service it, but fortunately for me, there are 4 shops I frequent. So far, 2 of the 4 have welcomed me with open arms - used gear and all. There was one of the four who threw a fit and I walked out. Never to return.

But you are right, if the cost difference is minimal, go with new at your LDS. Support them, and get the service later on that you need.

Hi Alex:

Yeah, things can get expensive quick and especially when dealing with a LDS. The key is being a well informed and savvy shopper. If I may, I will detail what I am wearing and where I got it, I will say that my current outfit is less than 1400 USD and depending on selections can be gotten cheaper. Some new some used. Let's see...

Cressi Sub Big Eyes Mask: New, 30 USD from scuba.com
ATX 50/ ATX 50, brass and glass SPG: Used, 425USD from ScubaBoard
5 mm Bare wetsuit with 2 Halcyon pockets: Used, 170 USD from TheDecoStop (TDS)
DSS BP/W single with 26 lb lift, and a knife: New, 450 USD (I think +/- a few bucks) from DSS
Akona booties (cold water): New 60 USD from scuba.com
Scout clone 3 cell light: Used 40 USD from eBay
ScubaPro Jet fins, XL: Used 45 USD from eBay
Suunto Vyper with DSS boot: Used and new, 180+18 from TDS and DSS
Cobbled spring straps about 10 USD DIY
Compass and DSS boot: New*2, less than 70 USD (54+12) from LeisurePro and DSS

Total so far, 1500 USD. I also have various hard weights bought at the going price for lead at the time and a weightbelt which was a couple of bucks. A Casio G-Shock rounds out my basic dive gear and was gotten at Wally World for 40 USD (DW-5600E). I also bought an Akona Duffel for 70 USD at a LDS because I didn't know any better and of everything I mentioned the only issue I have had with the mentioned gear- the zipper busted on the Akona bag!

Notice I have some pretty well known gear, new and used and it has all served me well. You could buy different brands for cheaper and have the same reliability that I have. Simply put: flavors differ. I have a Halcyon Scout which I bought new and from a Dealer and I really paid for it. I have a 10 W HID DiveRite Canister light that I cobbled together for about 300 USD. I did not include these because they are more expensive and alternatives or nothing can be had starting out.

Now when I got back into scuba diving after a hiatus from the sport and before my current setup, I spent 500 USD on a Seaquest BCD and I think 1100 USD for a similar regulator setup as noted above (with compass and Vyper). Just these two new pieces exceeded what I paid for my latest setup. Now I shake my head in amazement.

The moral is, shop around for the best deal. Consider new versus used and online versus walk in. If you are going to drop the hammer (or three!) on a whole package deal from a LDS, make sure they can give you great deals. As I rarely shop in a LDS anymore, I don't know what exactly they can do for you, but from what I read, while you may not get a discount on some things because of MSRP, the shop will toss you a bone in other ways. It definitely won't hurt to ask because after all, it's your hard earned money!

I hope this helps and good luck shopping!

With kindest regards,
Thomas

As I always say "Don't get into diving to save money!"

it's cheaper (by a lot) than racing motorcycles :doh2:

--

A mask is something I would buy in person at LDS unless replacing w/exact model that got lost or something b/c proper mask fit importance can't be understated with regards to fit, comfort, and not leaking!

If you compare the cost of diving to many other sports, like skiing, golf, et al, its really not all that expensive.

And todays diver has many more options than we did when we got certified in 1977.

I would urge a new diver to use an "abundance of caution" with used eq, and e bay, but would say the legit on line sellers like Scuba Toys, Leisure Pro, Joe Diver and numerous others (plenty of info about them on Scubaboard) are a good option to be considered.

I also agree 100% that for many reasons a new diver should rent equipment for a while, talk with experienced divers about their equipment, and do a lot of research - before purchasing their own. So much info available on line here and other sources.

There may be good reasons to (eventually) purchase from your LDS, but this is never the only option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom