Stevsgarage wants a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your thread got hijacked again...

When I was shopping for a new BC, I based my decision on things that I had actual issues about based on my old BC. I wasn't too worried about things that didn't cause problems in my day to day diving. Here are some of the criteria that I used:

1) Be able to fold up as small as possible
2) Be as light as possible. I occasionally do shore diving. Therefore I have to walk distances as much as a 1/4 mile with my rig on. I always wanted to be able to carry my rig and doff/don on land without assistance.
3) I wanted a BC that didn't feel bulky. In the wanter and out of the water, I wanted to be wearing as small a BC as possible
4) Would allow me to remove as much weight as possible from my weightbelt. In relation to 2, many BC's have cushioning and foam that are heavy out of the water but because the cushioning is buoyant additional weight is required. I wanted a BC that minimized this bouyant weight to decrease the amount of weight on my weightbelt.
5) Didn't trap air. My old BC trapped a bit of air because of the shape. I wanted a BC that would trap as little air as possible. Air trapping means that you need to carry additional weight to balance that out.
6) Was clean. I didnt want the BC to have a lot of clips, straps, rings etc. I found that for some reason all the fast-clip straps would loosen and I was constantly having to tighten during the dive. I also didnt like all the dangling things.
7) Cheap, I wanted my BC to be less than $300-400
8) Looks cool. I wanted one that looked good (low priority)

My suggestion to you is to figure out what your criteria and priorities are and evaluate based on those.

seabass,
You just described an aluminum backplate with harness and wing!!

Couldn't help but notice! :huh:

Once I got over having an attitude about the people with attitudes about BP's and wings. I tried one. Now I dive a BP and wings. I still use my BC for pool classes, but I think that's about to change too!

stevsgarage,

try everything you can in the water, then make a decision based on fit, comfort, and what works best for your diving needs!!

As far as travel,
I recently took my SS BP with 27lb wing to the Bahamas. It packed nice. It took up less room than the BC I took on previous trips!!.
I didn't see anyone else with a BP.
I also didn't see many divers with good Trim. :)

What did you get? I can't stand the suspense.

so far no BC although seabass pretty much just discribed what I would label real cool:mean:
I certianly haven't ruled out the BP idea. I am going to look at a few tomarrow. I'll keep you all informed.

I just got back from assisting at open water pool sessions.

I put my 18lb wing on a stainless steel BP and grabbed an AL80.

No weight on my belt and I was somewhat negative.

I figure that I'll need about 4 lbs in salt water.

Back
Top Bottom