Steel HP100 vs Steel HP119

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Faris427

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I am aware that the major difference between the two of these is the size, but what I want to know is if there is any reason for me to go with the 100 over the 119. I can get either tank for the same price. They would both be worthington tanks...I am a newish diver but I have hopes of eventually getting into Nitrox and I am still in the heavy breathing state of learning my diving skills :(

I have read that since you can stay under longer on nitrox than air, it may be favorable to get the 119. But do I really need the extra weight? I live in Florida and currently dive the simple stuff in fresh water and now and then get out to the coast for some easy 60 foot max depth dives.

I don't know if I am going to ever do doubles as I am still not sure if I want to do any real cave diving or deep wrecks etc....maybe there is a good reason for doubles for sport diving that I am not aware of?

I am 24 years old 5"11 about 200 pounds...so lifting the weight isn't an issue and shouldn't be one any time soon.:crafty:

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy

both would work well they are close to the same height with the 119 weighing in more,both are sweet tanks.

I have read that since you can stay under longer on nitrox than air, it may be favorable to get the 119.

The total dive time is not affected by Nitrox or Air, it's the same for both. I assume you meant total time at at a certain depth :) I dive both, and there really is no difference in weight, they are both heavy. The taller 120 can be a pain on boat dives. It's also comforting to know that when your buddies dive their AL80's down to the last 500psi before they ascend fom a 500ft dive, that you will have enough air to for the both of you in case of a fire....:)

I own/use both, though mine are all PST. Generally I prefer the 100 for quarry dives here in Ohio, but tend to use the 119's for Ocean/boat dives (extra air to cover the pucker factor, and I tend to be a bit of a hoover anyway) and for anything >100 ft or when I've got the cheaps and want to reliably get two dives from one fill (fill stations here don't care about the volume - just the mix). The 100 is considerably lighter and is my favorite all-around. Definitely look on the used market - well-maintained steel tanks have a service life in excess of 50 years.

I was in the same quandry once upon a time, but I opted for the 119's and haven't had a moment of regret.

The only inconvenience I've found so far is that the tank holders on dive boats are designed, primarily, for 7.25" tanks and the 119 is an 8" tank. But that's not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

The length of the 119 is short enough that I don't play "bump the butt" with the tank (I'm 5'8") and not overly heavy.

The extra 19 cf of gas is ALWAYS a plus, in my opinion.

the K

One other consideration. Not all LDS/Fill Stations can do the HP fill. So if you are restricted to a 3000 psi fill limit....(These are Worthington Cylinders)

Cylinder 2640 psi 3000 psi 3442 psi

X7 Steel 80 64 cu. ft. 72 cu. ft. 80 cu. ft.

X7 Steel 100 80 cu. ft. 89 cu. ft. 100 cu. ft.

X7 Steel 120 96 cu. ft. 107 cu. ft. 120 cu. ft.

X8 Steel 119 95 cu. ft. 107 cu. ft. 119 cu. ft.

X8 Steel 130 104 cu. ft. 117 cu. ft. 130 cu. ft

I own/use both, though mine are all PST. Generally I prefer the 100 for quarry dives here in Ohio, but tend to use the 119's for Ocean/boat dives (extra air to cover the pucker factor, and I tend to be a bit of a hoover anyway) and for anything >100 ft or when I've got the cheaps and want to reliably get two dives from one fill (fill stations here don't care about the volume - just the mix). The 100 is considerably lighter and is my favorite all-around. Definitely look on the used market - well-maintained steel tanks have a service life in excess of 50 years.

I can relate to many of the reasons given by skyking.

I've got PST 100's and 120's, but find I dive almost exclusively with the 120's even though I'm often in water less than 40' deep. That's because I like to do long dives, usually solo.

If I'm going to be buddied up with someone, I may use a 100 if it's a better match to finish with about the same amount of air.

I have read that since you can stay under longer on nitrox than air, it may be favorable to get the 119. But do I really need the extra weight? I live in Florida and currently dive the simple stuff in fresh water and now and then get out to the coast for some easy 60 foot max depth dives.

I don't know if I am going to ever do doubles as I am still not sure if I want to do any real cave diving or deep wrecks etc....maybe there is a good reason for doubles for sport diving that I am not aware of?

I am 24 years old 5"11 about 200 pounds...so lifting the weight isn't an issue and shouldn't be one any time soon.:crafty:

On your back, the 100 is definitely going to feel nice and compact compared to the 120, so I'd recommend making your decision based on how often you think having the extra air would be nice.

Balance that against how many times you might come back with the 120 still half-full.

Personally, after all the preparation that goes into getting into the water, I hate to end a dive before I really want to....

The 120 always gives me as long a dive as I want and it seldom comes back with much air left! :)

Dave C

I have the HP 119s. The extra air is worth the weight. While I often come back on the boat with a lot more than 500psi I like the safety cushion.

Steve

I have the HP 119s. The extra air is worth the weight. While I often come back on the boat with a lot more than 500psi I like the safety cushion.

Steve

Is this tank 8" in diameter & 24" tall? How do you mount it, B/W or BCD? I'm considering a 119 over a 100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom