Steel HP100 vs Steel HP119

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watchmanjc,

You mount it on a B/C or BP/W just like you would a 7.25" tank, but you just let out the tank straps a bit to acommodate it.

the K

Just got a used 119 over the weekend (4 months old). 45 lbs empty and had it filled yesterday now weighs 53.4 lbs. According to my home scale. If you can wait a deal will eventually come up. The guy I got it from has a bad back/neck and also needs a new fridge. He didnt realize how much more strain it would be on his back. He decided AL 80's are best for him.

Weight can be an issue. I went with X7-100's not so much because they are comparable in weight and diameter (but a lot shorter) than an AL80, but because they were available at very attractive prices. They also have exactly the same tank factor as the doubled steel 72's I also use.

When doubled and with SS plate, cannister light, etc, the whole setup is about 120 lbs. 120's would add another 10-12 pounds and that may or may not be significant for some divers.

There is some validity for the extra air argument - but on the other hand using a 40 or 80 cu ft stage is another option and can be done without the problems of carrying the extra weight on every dive whether you need it or not and without the issue of coming back with tanks that are still pretty full but not full enough for a second dive.

Either way, either tank size will work, so I'd try them both and see which one works best for you in terms of weight and trim requirements.

I like the idea of having an alternate air source besides the buddy. Many times the buddy for OOA situation is a joke, especially if your hunting.

I've been told breathing down a pony is a no-no, right? Maybe a 30 would be considered both stage & pony. At any rate, more tanks, more options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom