Steel HP 100 vs Al 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I have never dove with steel tanks before, and I have the opportunity to buy a Hp steel 100 for $200. I have several Al80's, is it worth it to purchase this tank?

I understand the weight advantages, but what would my air advantages be? Will I see a big difference in available air? Will I be able to stay down much longer with a steel Hp100? If so, what percentage more do you think?

Again sorry for the simple questions, just want to see if it's worth getting the tank.

Diving Open Circuit your air consumption would be based upon Boyles law of pressure and volume as well as your SAC rate or Surface air consumption rate. Basic difference between the 2 tanks which is 20 cubic feet which is 1/4 more than an al 80 therefore in theory for the same dive using an al 80 you could get 1/4 more bottom time if you had the same SAC rate for both dives. Reminder this is not taking into consideration Nitrogen loading.

Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom