Steel HP 100 vs Al 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be a LOT of gas, even on sixths...

Scratches in a galavanized steel tank won't rust - the electrochemical process of the galvanized surfaces around the scratch prevents it.

While this is generally true I wouldn't say it's true 100% -- I have some pictures of older steel 72s with rust -- they are hot-dipped galvanized PST cylinders from the 1970s.

Here is a shot I took of a steel 72 manufactured in 1979. Minimal scratches don't rush but larger places do have a bit of rust -- it would appear that perhaps some of the galvanizing was actually chipped off?

hydro_rust.jpg

I love my HP 100 .. now

but when I first dived it I didn't
I had good trim before with my al80, and it was disheartening when I seamed to have lost it after strapping on the steel tank .. it's heavier on your back and until I got used to it, I would turtle when I stopped moving ... couple of dives solved that though and I love it .. sold my al80

Go for the steel 100. Better in-water characteristics with a number of other advantages already listed

Here is a shot I took of a steel 72 manufactured in 1979. Minimal scratches don't rush but larger places do have a bit of rust -- it would appear that perhaps some of the galvanizing was actually chipped off?

hydro_rust.jpg
Why did it have a hydro test in December 1984 and another in August 1986?

Why did it have a hydro test in December 1984 and another in August 1986?

With SparticleBrane's occupation of student, I'd be surprised if any of those hydro dates are after his birthday.

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I have never dove with steel tanks before, and I have the opportunity to buy a Hp steel 100 for $200. I have several Al80's, is it worth it to purchase this tank?

I understand the weight advantages, but what would my air advantages be? Will I see a big difference in available air? Will I be able to stay down much longer with a steel Hp100? If so, what percentage more do you think?

Again sorry for the simple questions, just want to see if it's worth getting the tank.

Everyone has spoken about the steel advantages already and I echo them. I will offer my comment. I know a lot (mega lot) of folks who have switched from AL to steel. I do not know of anyone who has switched from steel to AL.

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I have never dove with steel tanks before, and I have the opportunity to buy a Hp steel 100 for $200. I have several Al80's, is it worth it to purchase this tank?

I understand the weight advantages, but what would my air advantages be? Will I see a big difference in available air? Will I be able to stay down much longer with a steel Hp100? If so, what percentage more do you think?

Again sorry for the simple questions, just want to see if it's worth getting the tank.

Since you live in Ontario, the waters there are quite cold.

This makes you a cold water diver.

This means you should wear a dry suit.

For a drysuit diver in cold waters, and HP 100 tank is pretty good, generally speaking.

But if you are a woman about 5'2" then it would not be a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom