Stealth Travel Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Right now I use a roller hockey duffel for my gear. It's huge -- larger than the max size allowed for checked, free bags -- but it holds everything easily. It's getting pretty worn out though. I will probably buy another similar bag but was wondering what else is popular. I don't want anything with a dive brand or logo on it, as I don't want to attract attention from baggage handlers. It does not need to be carry-on obviously, but it could be slightly smaller than the hockey bag. It must have wheels and ideally the wheels would be replaceable rollerblade-style wheels.

Check out eBags.com and see what they have in the way of rolling duffles. Plenty the last time I looked.

I have a Stahlsac Smuggler. When I got it, I thought there is no way all my gear will fit in it but it did. It's not the cheapest but it has a limited lifetime warranty and it doesn't have scuba plastered all over the outside. Wheeled Dive Bags: The Smuggler from Stahlsac

So, not this?

E115E49B-EA7F-4699-A428-DC0D54D49F72.jpeg

I buy 4-wheeled 29" regular checked bag.
Any big name brand is fine and as cheap as I can find.

I use this idea for land based trips; Samsonite that I've bought on sale.

Liveaboard trips for me, are almost always taken during winters away and in that case I've got my Samsonite that I leave land-based and a wheeled duffle for the liveaboard trip.

I first had a wheeled duffle type bag that I got decades ago. I've never been able to find one as good as it since. A new bag that I took to Raja Ampat had the wheel well break into pieces before it even arrived in Sorong. I figured on having that fixed upon return to Canada. No, the fix was going to cost more than the bag.

I bought another instead but if it comes to it, I may end up just having some fixes to the original bag that has been around the world more than a few times. It just needs some heavy duty stitching here and there from years of airport baggage handling abuse. They just don't make them like that anymore.

My recommendation is the 4 wheels 29" Samsonite (on sale) but if you really want a duffle style, then be willing to put a little extra cash into it and get the best you think you'll need.

Possibly look at military bags like deployment bags or load out bags. Seldom marked. Usually very durable.

Reactions: Doc
If you don't want to attract attention, I'd avoid military-style or "tacti-cool" style bags.

I forget the details, but look up how people transport guns on fights. I'm pretty certain I remember that there are ways you can transport items in the US on flights in stowed luggage, where the TSA, baggage-handlers, etc cannot open your luggage.

If you don't want to attract attention, I'd avoid military-style or "tacti-cool" style bags.

I forget the details, but look up how people transport guns on fights. I'm pretty certain I remember that there are ways you can transport items in the US on flights in stowed luggage, where the TSA, baggage-handlers, etc cannot open your luggage.

Handguns must be in a locked case (non-TSA lock). TSA lock goes on suitcase. Easiest to put a small locked case into your checked bag than in a case on their own that gets checked. I did it once about 6-7 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom