State Police Poaching Lobsters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowing the guy that heads up that team, I -seriously- doubt he'd have the time for such a thing, nor would any members of his team from what he said about their workload and understaffing. I can't seem to find his e-mail address, but I think notabob has it.

MikeFerrara:
What if the supervisory member wast the lbster poaching ring leader?

You seem awful certain that it wasn't the boss doing the shop lifting.

That is a good point. Even if he isn't involved he may be friends. Not saying he is. But it is a risk.

Aside from that this is a fisheries violation, so it should be reported to the MA Environmental Police not the State Police. It is their jurisdiction.

And since the EP are independent of the SP there is much less chance of the report "disappearing" because someone handling the report was connected to the involved parties.

However, if you are going to report it, you should do it ASAP because the longer you wait the colder the trail gets and the less chance they will be able to do anything even if they want to.

matt_unique:
Classic cop story, they must never wonder why so many people hate cops. Definitely wish you had pictures or license plates to call into the EP and Internal Affairs department.

--Matt
Matt,
So you think people hate cops because it appears a few bad apples stole some lobsters?
I will grant you that there are a few more bad cops then just this group of thieves, but I also know that the overwhelming majority of cops are hard working people dedicated to protecting lives and property, and making the lives of all of us better. To make such broad statements about a group of people based on one observation (or even a few observations) is the ultimate of ignorance and unawareness, especially when there are so many unknowns here.

The same overwhelming numbers of police officers of which I spoke would be even more disgusted by the thievery committed by one of their own than you or the average citizen would be. The overwhelming numbers of police officers in this country work very hard to maintain the highest professional and personal standards, and are seriously disheartened when something like this happens.

And it’s made even worse by people who bash a noble group with such biases blanket statements like “typical cop story.” I hope your comments are not typical for you.

Anyone who witnesses something like this should report it to the appropriate department’s internal affairs section; and if there is none, the overseeing governmental authority. Photos are nice but not necessary. Speaking from experience I can tell you that in most cases it will be taken very seriously, fully investigated, and appropriately handled.

well this is my two cents. my g/f brother just grad from the police acad. in jersey and being with the fire dept i know pretty much all the cops on a personal level and every cop covers the others dirty foot prints very few are "good cops" and they have to be this way to a degree BUT just because you have all this red tape and "stress of the job" you should not be allowed to be above the law and people who sit here and say "well they have stressful job" and the red tape they go throu thats bs being a firefighter medic i have stress i don't go abusing people or thinking im better then everyone else. The only way i got my point across to my future brother in law i told him ever act like an idiot around me and i'll beat your a$$ with your pr24 and spray you mouth full of your own mk12. He thought about it and said well enough. It's not like hate the police but no one should think they are above the law

to quote you, "Speaking from experience" I can tell you that when it involves police and it isn't a major crime, it does not get much action. I was a police officer for three years and it was a common opinion that "we" were allowed to have special consideration. That bothered me and it's one of the reasons I left. I have many friends who are police officers and even they get away with all sorts of things. The job is hard, the pay is bad, the hours are terrible and you meet some really nasty folks but I still think a rule/law is for everyone. Just my two cents.

B.T.W. Did New England expand? Lots of posts from "new" New England states :wink:

long story short: gdon is a cop who took offense to matt's comment.

the days of norman rockwell paintings are long gone gdon. you act like cops stand around on street corners handing out lolipops to kids and help old ladies cross the street. :25:

get over yourself already.

Gdon:
Matt,
So you think people hate cops because it appears a few bad apples stole some lobsters?
I will grant you that there are a few more bad cops then just this group of thieves, but I also know that the overwhelming majority of cops are hard working people dedicated to protecting lives and property, and making the lives of all of us better. To make such broad statements about a group of people based on one observation (or even a few observations) is the ultimate of ignorance and unawareness, especially when there are so many unknowns here.

The same overwhelming numbers of police officers of which I spoke would be even more disgusted by the thievery committed by one of their own than you or the average citizen would be. The overwhelming numbers of police officers in this country work very hard to maintain the highest professional and personal standards, and are seriously disheartened when something like this happens.

And it’s made even worse by people who bash a noble group with such biases blanket statements like “typical cop story.” I hope your comments are not typical for you.

Anyone who witnesses something like this should report it to the appropriate department’s internal affairs section; and if there is none, the overseeing governmental authority. Photos are nice but not necessary. Speaking from experience I can tell you that in most cases it will be taken very seriously, fully investigated, and appropriately handled.

I think people like or hate cops based on their own individual experiences. My experience has been negative with a few exceptions of professional behavior.

--Matt

Clearly none of you anti-cop folks have had one of your cop friends or associates get you out of a nasty ticket.....

Every cop is no different than the average diving scumbag like you and me....we all drive over the speed limit to get to our favorite dive destination, and on at least one occasion all of us have had a beer and jumped in the car when we probably shouldn't have. All of us have taken a piss in the outdoors legally constituting indecent exposure.

The difference is, none of us civilians deal with crackheads, armed thieves, mentally deranged homeless people and evil drug dealers, working overtime and never seeing our families. Every job has its perks, and police officers happen to have some really good ones.

If these guys were cops who were breaking the law, then so be it. When they get caught, I hope they get punished to the full extent of the law. Nothing pisses me off more than the dickhead statey going 100 mph on the highway simply because he can. But what good is it to get bent out of shape about it? I'm going 75, right? It's all good.

My point is this - if these guys were breaking the law, then hold them accountable as citizens, not as cops. Would you all be as bummed out or suspicious if it was a couple of clergymen coming out of the water?

Have the balls to ask them what they're doing - it's your right as a citizen to hold your public servants accountable. If he's breaking the law, I'll be the first guy to put a dive tank up his bum. Not because he's a cop, but because he's a buffoon breaking the laws of an already fragile ecosystem.

PeaceDog:
The difference is, none of us civilians deal with crackheads, armed thieves, mentally deranged homeless people and evil drug dealers, working overtime and never seeing our families.

I'm a Paramedic. I deal with ALL those things but I'm still trying to figure out what "perks" I get. Just yesterday I brought a patient in for "labs results are off". Turns out he has Meningitis. Oh Goody! That must be my perk.

PeaceDog:
My point is this - if these guys were breaking the law, then hold them accountable as citizens, not as cops. Would you all be as bummed out or suspicious if it was a couple of clergymen coming out of the water?

I'm not personally familiar with MA laws, but it seem that people are saying if you're bringing in lobster you're supposed to have your license # on your tank and flag. Unless someone comes forward saying these people had numbers on their tanks and flag, then there's not too much reason to be suspicious, as the law was obviously being broken.

I think we've seen in the past that anyone who appears to be taking lobsters illegally gets thoroughly discussed (and I use that term loosely) here on SB, at least until everyone gets bored or someone steps forward to vouch for the innocence of the parties in question. Since no one has come forward, how about everyone remember to bring the camera next time to catch the culprits (whoever they may be) in the act?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom