State Police Poaching Lobsters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cards90:
I do not think there is anything bad about a few cops going bug hunting with or without proper permits. They may deserve the break after dealing with all the red tape they incounter daily. No I am not a cop or a cop lover, tickets stink, and I disagree with alot of the laws that they enforce.

They took a chance just like many others do daily, I say let them be, it's all good in the end. :42: :D

Actually it's worse when the po-lice break the law. It makes it more difficult for anyone else to understand the point of not breaking the law as well as makes it more difficult for the Officers that aren't schmucks.

Hey thats cool. as long as we can get away with stuff lets do it ...... Or we could always behave as we expect others to?????

I think some of the readers of this thread may have gotten the wrong impression from my original post, so I will attempt to clarify things:

First off, I used the term 'poaching'... well, that was probably incorrect, I should have said 'breaking the law'. As for how many lobsters they had... I saw them in the cooler when I hauled up my gear and they were gettting ready to put them in the police van.

Am I a cop hater - actually just the opposite - I have the utmost respect for police and fire officials. They do a job most people wouldn't do, but they are definately the first people you call when something goes wrong.

As for letting them do it because of the job they do... I thought of that, but then that would not make things right. They should follow the same rules and laws the rest of the public follows.

There is no way that these guys, in 20 minutes could have caught the number of bugs they had and have them all be legal. Granted there were plenty of bugs out there (we had just completed our second dive), but quite a few were just short of legal.... I have no way of proving what we saw since we didn't have any video / photo cameras, but after diving in MA for 21 years, I can make a pretty damn good guess that these few guys were not on the up & up.

I only posted this here to let everyone know what is going on and to keep your eyes peeled.

so did you file a police report yet?

even if nothing comes out of it this time, at least there would be a paper trail for when someone actually gets busted.

MAsharkDiver:
I think some of the readers of this thread may have gotten the wrong impression from my original post, so I will attempt to clarify things:

First off, I used the term 'poaching'... well, that was probably incorrect, I should have said 'breaking the law'. As for how many lobsters they had... I saw them in the cooler when I hauled up my gear and they were gettting ready to put them in the police van.

Am I a cop hater - actually just the opposite - I have the utmost respect for police and fire officials. They do a job most people wouldn't do, but they are definately the first people you call when something goes wrong.

As for letting them do it because of the job they do... I thought of that, but then that would not make things right. They should follow the same rules and laws the rest of the public follows.

There is no way that these guys, in 20 minutes could have caught the number of bugs they had and have them all be legal. Granted there were plenty of bugs out there (we had just completed our second dive), but quite a few were just short of legal.... I have no way of proving what we saw since we didn't have any video / photo cameras, but after diving in MA for 21 years, I can make a pretty damn good guess that these few guys were not on the up & up.

I only posted this here to let everyone know what is going on and to keep your eyes peeled.

MAsharkDiver:
Am I a cop hater - actually just the opposite - I have the utmost respect for police and fire officials. They do a job most people wouldn't do, but they are definately the first people you call when something goes wrong. QUOTE]

I know this thread is a bit off topic......but in my opinion Police are not in the same league as Fireman. Fireman do nothing other than help people. Police on the other hand are in the position to harass people and get away with anything.

When cops go after the bad guys - they are the bomb. If that is all they did I'm sure I (and others) would feel differently about them.

--Matt

matt_unique:
When cops go after the bad guys - they are the bomb. If that is all they did I'm sure I (and others) would feel differently about them.

And as soon as all the bad guys remember to wear their bad guy hats, I'm sure the cops will have an easier time telling them apart from the good guys.

augk:
:wink: unfortunatly It only take a few bad apples

See what happens when you put a good apple with the bad ones.............

bnaudie:
Okay, where's the moderator? Can we move this thread to the "Bash the Cops" forum?

How about if you just file a complaint with the proper authorities? Then again, I guess that wouldn't be as much fun. How about if we fire 'em all and you can recruit all their replacements right here in this forum? Aah.... who needs 'em anyway?....
They're not whining about being pulled over for doing 5 over. They are talking about cops abusing their positions and breaking the same laws you and I have to obide. Get real.

MAsharkDiver:
First off, I used the term 'poaching'... well, that was probably incorrect, I should have said 'breaking the law'.

No, I think poaching's appropriate. If they didn't have the numbers on the flags or tanks, they were hunting illegally. Last time I checked, illegal hunting is poaching.

MAsharkDiver:
I didnt know that if you dont use a flag, dont have numbers on your tanks you are a poacher.
I must be a poacher too.

You might want to check out the laws about lobster diving then. If EPO decides to check on you when you're on the way to the car, you could find yourself with no car, no dive gear, and a $1000 fine.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/diverinfo.pdf

I would love to hear what the venue was for this event. First of all, it sounds like a great place to dive for bugs. Second of all, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled if I happen to be in the neighborhood.

Hey, maybe they were collecting evidence? It might have been some sort of crime seen, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom