State Police Poaching Lobsters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog:
Clearly none of you anti-cop folks have had one of your cop friends or associates get you out of a nasty ticket...

Sure I have, and I've also had cop friends do all sorts of other things for me that don't bear mentioning here. That doesn't change my opinion of cops who abuse their authority.

PeaceDog:
The difference is, none of us civilians deal with crackheads, armed thieves, mentally deranged homeless people and evil drug dealers, working overtime and never seeing our families.

Actually, some of us civillians do deal with this **** from time to time, but we don't treat our difficult moments as a license to live above the law.

PeaceDog:
Every job has its perks, and police officers happen to have some really good ones.

True, but poaching isn't one of them. At least, it shouldn't be.

PeaceDog:
My point is this - if these guys were breaking the law, then hold them accountable as citizens, not as cops.

If shooting a cop is legally different from shooting a civillian because of the fact that they are the embodiment of the law, then IMHO a cop who violates the law (other than in the line of duty) should be held to a higher standard than civilians for the same reason.

PeaceDog:
Would you all be as bummed out or suspicious if it was a couple of clergymen coming out of the water?

As an ordained minister, I can tell you I'd be just as pissed off about a clergy member poaching as I would a cop.

decapoddiver:
I'm a Paramedic. I deal with ALL those things but I'm still trying to figure out what "perks" I get. Just yesterday I brought a patient in for "labs results are off". Turns out he has Meningitis. Oh Goody! That must be my perk.

Dude, if we play the "I-work-just-as-hard-or-harder-than-any-cop" game, I will surely lose. Play it if you want, but I don't recommend it. Those soapboxes aren't the most reliable little buggers to stand on, speaking from experience.

As far as the perks thing goes, I was very clear about the fact that it does very much disturb me to watch local and state authorities abuse all manner of traffic law that they would just as quickly pull my speed-racer butt over for in a moment (and have). I didn't say that their perks were deserved or even legal for that matter; but we all know they exist. I also know that it's a pointless argument, because unfortunately they'll win every time. Getting in a twist over a couple of cops who we think may have dove without their flag seems a bit of a waste of time. That in and of itself may be the biggest crime of it all.

MSilvia:
If shooting a cop is legally different from shooting a civillian because of the fact that they are the embodiment of the law, then IMHO a cop who violates the law (other than in the line of duty) should be held to a higher standard than civilians for the same reason.

You have eloquently and indisputably won your argument. I stand corrected. It is an incredibly valid point you make here, and my mind is changed as a result.

PeaceDog:
The difference is, none of us civilians deal with crackheads, armed thieves, mentally deranged homeless people and evil drug dealers, working overtime and never seeing our families. Every job has its perks, and police officers happen to have some really good ones.

Well maybe where you have worked you never dealt with these animals but I can tell you I have working as a property manager in downtown Boston. I would open up buildings in the morning and close them at night one of which was occupied by the state police and RMV. Talk about a freak show.
Junkies, hookers, pimps, dealers, gangbangers, bums every morning at 5:30am every night at 7:00pm. All traveling done on foot from building to building just so you could get to know them all personally. I have no sympathy for the work that the Police do because they chose that profession just as I chose mine. There were also many other hard working civilians out their too sharing this wonderful experience.

augk:
Well maybe where you have worked you never dealt with these animals but I can tell you I have working as a property manager in downtown Boston. I would open up buildings in the morning and close them at night one of which was occupied by the state police and RMV. Talk about a freak show.
Junkies, hookers, pimps, dealers, gangbangers, bums every morning at 5:30am every night at 7:00pm. All traveling done on foot from building to building just so you could get to know them all personally. I have no sympathy for the work that the Police do because they chose that profession just as I chose mine. There were also many other hard working civilians out their too sharing this wonderful experience.

I'll tell you what: you and depcapoddiver go hunting for bugs without your numbers posted on your flags this weekend and I'll just look the other way. Can we just call it even?

I happen to WORK weekends (another perk of being a paramedic) so weekends are out for me. Is Tuesday good? I'll bring the camera :wink:

decapoddiver:
I happen to WORK weekends (another perk of being a paramedic) so weekends are out for me. Is Tuesday good? I'll bring the camera :wink:

Thanks for getting the joke. :D

warpig:
long story short: gdon is a cop who took offense to matt's comment.

the days of norman rockwell paintings are long gone gdon. you act like cops stand around on street corners handing out lolipops to kids and help old ladies cross the street. :25:

get over yourself already.

Well one point has been made in this thread that is correct and universally true.. that is everyone’s opinions are based on their experiences. I do not have to get over myself because as you correctly surmised, I am a cop am a member of a department that is very highly respected by civilians and other departments. I am proud of that fact and rightly so. The department I work for upholds the highest standards and fires cops who lie, steal or abuse people.

Now I know that not all departments have as high standards as mine and many of you have had bad experiences. But I did and I ALWAYS WILL take offense to people who like (like Matt) make such sweeping prejudicial statements about a whole group of people especially when it is based on incomplete information. Perhaps if you spent a few nights riding with an officer and got exposed to a fraction of what they do you then might have a clue.

And I was none too pleased by your exaggerated mischaracterization of my comments. Norman Rockwell? Come on now… If my comments bother you, then get over it yourself.

Gdon:
But I did and I ALWAYS WILL take offense to people who like (like Matt) make such sweeping prejudicial statements about a whole group of people especially when it is based on incomplete information. Perhaps if you spent a few nights riding with an officer and got exposed to a fraction of what they do you then might have a clue.

And I was none too pleased by your exaggerated mischaracterization of my comments. Norman Rockwell? Come on now… If my comments bother you, then get over it yourself.

What portion of my information was incomplete? I have already stated the origin of my perspective - my own experiences with cops. Others have made references to their own experiences as well.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom