Starting Technical diving GUE Vs TDI VS PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE, never met a GUE instructor or diver I wouldn't trust underwater even if they tend towards rigidity and OCD.
Met way too many goons in PADI, diver and instructor. There are some great folks there too.
I have PADI,SSI and IANTD certs as there really wasn't any GUE when I was certified,but I respect the GUE philosophy for technical diving.

Yes you are right. "anecdotes are not data" :)
But one thing is that everytime someone has a negative comment about GUE, the message is not really heard but the messenger is, unfortunately, always criticized.
I think if you want to make a point like this, it helps to be factual.

This works:
  • I had a training with X, he was unprofessional, for example in instance Y, he did Z or said A.
    (you can omit the name if you fear retaliation)
This is not so useful:
  • They are all bad people

My personal experience of my Fundies class is that the criticism was always fair and we were always provided with explanations for the choices. Also I was always provided with clear feedback about why I did not pass and methods to improve. It is only one point of data and other people can have another experience.

Also I can say the same from some instructors which were from other agencies as well.

...But one thing is that everytime someone has a negative comment about GUE, the message is not really heard but the messenger is, unfortunately, always criticized.

Can you give an example?

What I see is that GUE is brought into even all kinds of threads that have nothing to do with GUE, and they mostly go unchecked. We see them, laugh that GUE got brought in again, and move on. I can't say that I have ever seen a messenger attacked, and would be interested to see where this has happened. Surely it would have had to have happened a lot for a whole community to be painted with the same brush rather than an individual?

Can you give an example?

What I see is that GUE is brought into even all kinds of threads that have nothing to do with GUE, and they mostly go unchecked. We see them, laugh that GUE got brought in again, and move on. I can't say that I have ever seen a messenger attacked, and would be interested to see where this has happened. Surely it would have had to have happened a lot for a whole community to be painted with the same brush rather than an individual?
Maybe u should go back and read how my comment came out...

I did.
And we're still waiting for an example.
so re do it because it seems you didm't contextualize.
But in fact, you are right, I don't have any example of people being criticized for criticizing this uncritical organisation.
I am just a fustrated little person drooling in front of such a group of high IQ and EQ persons and I externaiize my jealousy and insecurity by spreading false information on the net.:):):)

so re do it because it seems you didm't contextualize.
But in fact, you are right, I don't have any example of people being criticized for criticizing this uncritical organisation.
I am just a fustrated little person drooling in front of such a group of high IQ and EQ persons and I externaiize my jealousy and insecurity by spreading false information on the net.:):):)

I did again. I still don't see it. Asking you or anyone else to substantiate your accusation is not criticizing the messenger.

What I do see is that you criticized my reading comprehension not once, but twice. The further patronizing language was followed by questioning the intellectual ability of an entire group of people.

Does that about sum it up?

I did again. I still don't see it. Asking you or anyone else to substantiate your accusation is not criticizing the messenger.

What I do see is that you criticized my reading comprehension not once, but twice. The further patronizing language was followed by questioning the intellectual ability of an entire group of people.

Does that about sum it up?[/QU

Okay, some details
I was a new diver (75 dives) taking GUE-F. The instructor recommended that I do the course in doubles (my first time ever in doubles). I did not receive any valuable criticism or feedback, only ridicule the entire course, from multiple GUE instructors who were present

The instructors repeatedly put me into very difficult situations and then they all laughed at me when I floundered, e.g., I never did a back kick before, and I was put facing down the current while doing air sharing drills. The instructors ridiculed me when I couldn't keep my position while back-kicking into a stiff current. I never received any instruction in the back kick during the entire course, other than "just back kick.". They had video tape of me trying to back kick into a stiff current, and the instructors played the video in class in a loop over and over, laughing at me and making fun of me the whole time. The entire course was like that.

The instructor said that normally he gives out GUE course manuals, but he wasn't going to give them to us. He told us to find someone else who had taken GUE-F and get the course materials from them. The instructors ridiculed me for not knowing things that were in the course syllabus that we never received.

I bought a custom DUI drysuit from the instructor during the course. It didn't quite fit correctly, but the instructor insisted that it was fine. Years later I found out that I had paid for a custom drysuit but the instructor had given me a stock drysuit and pocket the $800 difference.

I took my concerns to the top at GUE and got about the same response from GUE HQ as I did the instructors.

Okay, some details
I was a new diver (75 dives) taking GUE-F. The instructor recommended that I do the course in doubles (my first time ever in doubles). I did not receive any valuable criticism or feedback, only ridicule the entire course, from multiple GUE instructors who were present

The instructors repeatedly put me into very difficult situations and then they all laughed at me when I floundered, e.g., I never did a back kick before, and I was put facing down the current while doing air sharing drills. The instructors ridiculed me when I couldn't keep my position while back-kicking into a stiff current. I never received any instruction in the back kick during the entire course. They had video tape of me trying to back kick into a stiff current, and the instructors played the video in class in a loop over and over, laughing at me and making fun of me the whole time. The entire course was like that.

The instructor said that normally he gives out GUE course manuals, but he wasn't going to give them to us. He told us to find someone else who taken GUE-F and get the course materials from them. The instructors ridiculed me for not knowing things that were in the course syllabus that we never received.

I bought a custom DUI drysuit from the instructor during the course. It didn't quite fit correctly, but the instructor insisted that it was fine. Years later I found out that I had paid for a custom drysuit but the instructor had given me a stock drysuit and pocket the $800 difference.

I took my concerns to the top at GUE and got about the same response from GUE HQ as I did the instructors.
If you're going to share such a thing, please share the associated instr names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom