Stainless BP & 45# Pioneer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I did a search for this type of topic, but didn't find anything.

I had an opportunity today to grab a NEW Halcyon Stainless BP for $225 & a 45# Pioneer wing for $202 (so I did). My LDS had ordered them in for someone and that person never picked them up.

I have read that the 45# Pioneer wing is only reccomended for very cold dives with a lot of weight. I was talking to a Tech diver in the store and he said I would be happy with it and that I didn't have to use that much lift unless I really needed it. Is it going to get in the way or be a problem? Did I goof?
Thanks,
Greg

I have a 45# wing for single tank diving, and I dont find that its too big. I should clarify that statement by saying that I dive in cold water, with a drysuit, and lots of lead. So, the 45# wing is nice. I like to be able to float my kit in the water without me in it. If you get a 27-30# wing, you might not be able to do that, depending on which cylinder you are using, and how much you have in a BP, or STA, or weight pockets attached to the harness.

So, I would say that it will probably be OK for you.

I would say that a 45# wing will be fine. That is what Shane uses with his SS plate (6#), weighted STA (6#) and steel 104 tank.

Maybeeee,depends on if that's good or not. :54:
I hope...........

I use a 40# Halcyon Eclipse wing with a heavy SS Backplate (FredT) and single steel 112. Works great. The $$$ on the backplate seems a bit high, last time I checked Halcyon SS back plate w/webbing was $180.00. You didn't mention if the Pioneer wing was new, I paid $360.00 for my Eclipse.

everything was new, hangin on the shelf.
It has the webbing and the back pocket.
I was looking at another shop here in Colorado, and the two together were $487. This guy did $425. for them. I figured $60 off wasn't bad. I didn't want to go online to get it, so I figured it wasn't a bad deal. He wanted a little over $300 each to begin with. But then again, he doesn't normally carry this stuff.

I guess you got a good deal overall, but you most definitely overpaid for the bp. As ColdH2O said, retail price for the halcyon BP and harness is well under $200. You would have had a killer deal if you paired the wing with a harness and backplate from FredT or similar.

Man, just when I think I did something good for a change.

So what should I have to pay for the 6# SS bp w/ the harness and the pocket piece that bolts inside the BP with a 27# Pioneer wing and the two tank straps? The other local shop sells the package deal for the $487. They may give me a 10% discount too.

I had actually put the other one on layaway, I'm not sure if he will give me my $$$ back though.

I realized the one I have money down on does not have any tank straps.
AND NO, I DON"T WANT TO BUY SWAMP LAND IN FLORIDA.............
ohh sure Laser, just rub it in. LOL.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom