Stage Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking at the stage kits on the tanks at the dive shop and it looked like a rather simple device. I asked him how much a kit costs, he responded, "About 60 dollars." I said to him that it looked like I could pick up rope and a piece of 5/8 ID hard rubber whatever it is to run the rope through and make my own. It just looked like a series of knots and with some practice it shouldn't be too difficult to do properly. I told me that wouldn't be a good idea considering the bolt snaps cost about $20.00 a piece anyways. I didn't believe him then either but it is upsetting to see an LDS flat out lying to customers just to make a profit. This is the person that I trust with my life, he does service my regulators.
I have just purchased some bolt snaps from TDI and they should be here shortly. If anybody knows where there are online instructions on how to rig a stage I would appreciate a link.

Dive4Life:
I was looking at the stage kits on the tanks at the dive shop and it looked like a rather simple device. I asked him how much a kit costs, he responded, "About 60 dollars." I said to him that it looked like I could pick up rope and a piece of 5/8 ID hard rubber whatever it is to run the rope through and make my own. It just looked like a series of knots and with some practice it shouldn't be too difficult to do properly. I told me that wouldn't be a good idea considering the bolt snaps cost about $20.00 a piece anyways. I didn't believe him then either but it is upsetting to see an LDS flat out lying to customers just to make a profit. This is the person that I trust with my life, he does service my regulators.
I have just purchased some bolt snaps from TDI and they should be here shortly. If anybody knows where there are online instructions on how to rig a stage I would appreciate a link.

The one I made was just as nice as the Halcyon one I bought. Here's a link on how to rig one.

www.dir-diver.com

The hogartian alternative method of stage bottle rigging - almost the same but slightly different. Different knot at the end, slightly heavier rope.

http://www.bentleytech.com/cave/stage/index.html

I personally like to use clear vinyl tubing over the rope in the "handle" are as it enables you to visually inspect the rope, while black fuel line tubing does not.

I bought in bulk and put 6 kits together for around $12 each. MOD stickers would be the most expensive part for me unless a buddy does it for the price of the special laser printer paper.

Dive4Life:

What size stainless steel clamps do you need for an Aluminum 80 and an Aluminum 40? Home Depot doesn't carry them so I am going to have to probably purchase from McMaster Carr unless anybody has a better idea.

Dive4Life:
What size stainless steel clamps do you need for an Aluminum 80 and an Aluminum 40? Home Depot doesn't carry them so I am going to have to probably purchase from McMaster Carr unless anybody has a better idea.
The circumference on an AL 80 is about 22.8 inches so a 24" hose clamp will do the job. An AL 30 or AL40 has a circumference of about 16.5". I usually end up with an 18" clamp and trim and inch or so off the end.

DA Aquamaster:
The circumference on an AL 80 is about 22.8 inches so a 24" hose clamp will do the job. An AL 30 or AL40 has a circumference of about 16.5". I usually end up with an 18" clamp and trim and inch or so off the end.

Thanks for the quick reply DA.

Dan Gibson:
I bought in bulk and put 6 kits together for around $12 each. MOD stickers would be the most expensive part for me unless a buddy does it for the price of the special laser printer paper.

white duck tape from Lowe's or HomeDept and a big fat marker works great for cheap. I use a sharpie "magnum" for extra big mod marks

plus if the bottle changes for some reason, just put new tape on and relabel

kurt

Yea, but it sure looks like crap. I guess that fits in at some dive sites in northern Florida
03.gif

goatboy_k:
white duck tape from Lowe's or HomeDept and a big fat marker works great for cheap. I use a sharpie "magnum" for extra big mod marks

plus if the bottle changes for some reason, just put new tape on and relabel

kurt

Dan Gibson:
For MOD stickers, get house numbers from Home Depot..... about $1 each for the Scotchlite ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom