Stability of BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am fairly new to SCUBA, only being certified about 6 years. I only do warm water rec. diving. Where I live is a long drive to dive and have to stay overnight, so don’t get to do much diving. I am about ready to get my own BCD. I have been reading the board for three or four years and have been interested in the BP/W setup. Looks and sounds like what I want. I have only used the jacket type BCD. My question is about trim. I hear so much written about the stability of the BP/W. But one interest I have is in photography. This requires you to be in all different positions at times to get the shot I want. I know the BP/W is stable in horizontal face down position, but how is it face up? How about vertical, head down? Vertical head up? Or on my side, horizontal? It seems to me that the side position would be the most difficult considering the center of gravity. Any thoughts on this concern? Just how stable is the BP/W in all these positions?

I am fairly new to SCUBA, only being certified about 6 years. I only do warm water rec. diving. Where I live is a long drive to dive and have to stay overnight, so don’t get to do much diving. I am about ready to get my own BCD. I have been reading the board for three or four years and have been interested in the BP/W setup. Looks and sounds like what I want. I have only used the jacket type BCD. My question is about trim. I hear so much written about the stability of the BP/W. But one interest I have is in photography. This requires you to be in all different positions at times to get the shot I want. I know the BP/W is stable in horizontal face down position, but how is it face up? How about vertical, head down? Vertical head up? Or on my side, horizontal? It seems to me that the side position would be the most difficult considering the center of gravity. Any thoughts on this concern? Just how stable is the BP/W in all these positions?

I'm sure I'll be soundly beaten by the BP/W club, but you're probably looking for something like a SCUBAPro Classic+ BC.

The bubble is free to move anywhere front/back/sides/etc, so if you have a desire to hang upside down at a 37 degree angle with your head under a ledge, it works just fine.

Terry

I dive a backplate with single and double tanks, and I've never had any problem positioning myself anywhere I wanted to be, with the possible exception of vertical/head up, where I tend to go over backwards. But I've never had any particular desire to spend much time vertical and head up.

Actually, the strength of the wing is that you can distribute gas anywhere in the wing in order to maintain trim/balance. The reality is, if you're diving a single tank, AND properly weighted, the amount of gas should really be very minimal. When photography is the objective, I find that with few exceptions I find a horizontal position useful. It's one thing to crash into a reef and snap a picture, but quite another to maintain team awareness, be sensitive to the environment, and properly frame the subject. Sound diving practice should not suffer because photography is the objective of a particular dive.

A BP/W is very stable and has the added advantage of allowing for distribution of weight wherever you want to aid in trim. For me, trim is the more important factor. Assuming you can maintain buoyancy properly, it is important for underwater photographers to attain proper trim. Of course, many regular BCDs have rear trim pockets, and you can rig trim weights on them as well. But backplates are designed to allow for precise trimming.

I variously dive with stainless steel, aluminum and plastic backplates depending on the type of dive I am doing. (I also own a traditional bcd and sidemount gear.) Backplates are stable, have less drag in the water and are more versatile.

Jeff

I routinely stand on my head, and other odd angles, with my bp/w. I tend to dive with inexperienced or out of practice divers, and helping them with their buoyancy control has me in all sorts of positions.

Thanks for all the comments. The jacket BCD I was considering is the Scubapro Classic as Web Monkey suggested. Looks like it would work as I want it to. But from the comments about the BP/W, I think I will go that way. Since I have to travel to dive, I need a very light weight system and one that packs in a minimum space. The BPs I am considering are the DSS Hybrid Kydex, Freedom Plate or the Oxycheq Travel Plate. The wing would be a DSS TTW , or DSS Torus 17 or 26. Possibly an Oxycheq 18 or 30 lb lift. I think this would make a very light weight and small kit. I would probably go with a DSS Pro Fit harness or something similar. This setup will give me the min. drag, light weight and small size that I like. The comments by Dive Alaska are well taken. Protecting the environment is always the first priority and that is exactly why I am interested in the stability of the BP/W. If I can’t control and maintain my position, then it will just not work for me.
Thanks again.
BobC

Thanks for all the comments. The jacket BCD I was considering is the Scubapro Classic as Web Monkey suggested. Looks like it would work as I want it to. But from the comments about the BP/W, I think I will go that

Whatever you buy, don't buy it because a bunch of strangers on the internet recommended it.

Try what you're considering before you buy it.

Terry

Thanks for all the comments. The jacket BCD I was considering is the Scubapro Classic as Web Monkey suggested. Looks like it would work as I want it to. But from the comments about the BP/W, I think I will go that way. Since I have to travel to dive, I need a very light weight system and one that packs in a minimum space. The BPs I am considering are the DSS Hybrid Kydex, Freedom Plate or the Oxycheq Travel Plate. The wing would be a DSS TTW , or DSS Torus 17 or 26. Possibly an Oxycheq 18 or 30 lb lift. I think this would make a very light weight and small kit. I would probably go with a DSS Pro Fit harness or something similar. This setup will give me the min. drag, light weight and small size that I like. The comments by Dive Alaska are well taken. Protecting the environment is always the first priority and that is exactly why I am interested in the stability of the BP/W. If I can’t control and maintain my position, then it will just not work for me.
Thanks again.
BobC

I think it's a good choice you made, going with a BP/W for your application.

I am photographing on almost all of my dives, and was very happy when switching from a BCD to BP/W 4 years ago. I have a rather large camera setup with external strobes etc, so having no BCD clutter in front of my chest really helped.

If you are doing warm water diving and are properly weighed, don't worry too much about the "air bubble" in your BCD. It should really be minimal.
I often hear the argument "that the air bubble in certain BCD floats around you as you turn". Don't know in what cushion some people dive :wink:

As to the setup: I also wanted a lightweight rig, and decided for the Kydex plate wigth Hog harness and LCD30. it weighs a little over 3 kilos with all stainless hardware, or about half of my old BCD!
Today, I would probably choose the Torus 26 wing, as it is several inches narrower than the LCD30 at almost the same lift.

Read the posts about the experiences with the Oxycheq ultra light weight BP. I was quite intrigued by the concept, but it sounds like a number of people feel it's not as stable as a "normal" BP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom