St Catharines Area Dive March 28th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over The Edge:

That's because it (anchor) was too heavy for little-ole me, so DiveMistress carried it for me :)

Yeah that weenie Tom requires a Tag line I guess.

Maybe I'll attach a hot-pink one so he can find it easy enough.

tehehehheh I kill me.....

Uhhoooh, blue/white attached to the top??

Oooops.....

Uhm.........

Jon, I'll gladly use the come-along this weekend, but I don't own one. I'm not even sure I could borrow one from someone else.

I'd love like heck to do some more work if needed. I can't tell you how much fun that was!

Ian, I never said I was smart. I just said I could get the job done without a trip to the hospital. The anchor really was no big deal. I had it back to the blocks before my partner hit the bottom. Minimal silt :) The rest of the work was done hovering (certainly NOT motionless!!) 5ft off the bottom. (TomR you would have been proud.)

I was the last guy up for the season when you went down to do your thing in the fall. I also recently talked to you in Dans about the "plate" lost on the Tiller. (2 months ago now?) Incase you're wondering. I'd love to come out and do more of that with you guys if you're in need. It would be great to learn things like that.

Steve

Hey Ian & all,

There is no problem with the lines on the surface. Both the eyelet line with the blue and white pool marker and the blue line with the jug are both afloat. We did replace the white jug with a new one filled with foam.
I think the line Tom is referring to is the granny line we usually throw off the back of the boat. I guess he never looked behind the ladder on our boat because we had a 30' yellow line with a yellow float out there. I did not put it out at first because the group said they did not need it but I felt it might be needed when the weather picked up.
As for Steve and the anchor, he did a pretty good job. He has to go back for one of our chains this weekend. For some reason he could not get it off. I think there may have been a problem with his mix or something or it could be the fact that I hear he gets narked at 10 ft :)

I'll bring the come-along steve. Just bring old neoprene gloves to operate it. Wouldn't want to see you put a hole in you dry gloves.

Over The Egde:
btw, our afternoon charter on Saturday said the viz was 50' and the Sunday group only had 25'. I don't think Steve made that big a cloud moving the anchor.

well, it was 50' when we got there. i'm not saying it was 50' when we left... :snorkel:

Over The Egde:
Hey Ian & all,

There is no problem with the lines on the surface. Both the eyelet line with the blue and white pool marker and the blue line with the jug are both afloat. We did replace the white jug with a new one filled with foam.
I think the line Tom is referring to is the granny line we usually throw off the back of the boat. I guess he never looked behind the ladder on our boat because we had a 30' yellow line with a yellow float out there. I did not put it out at first because the group said they did not need it but I felt it might be needed when the weather picked up.
As for Steve and the anchor, he did a pretty good job. He has to go back for one of our chains this weekend. For some reason he could not get it off. I think there may have been a problem with his mix or something or it could be the fact that I hear he gets narked at 10 ft :)

I'll bring the come-along steve. Just bring old neoprene gloves to operate it. Wouldn't want to see you put a hole in you dry gloves.

Johnathon/Steve & others

Sorry to make for so much work. As you found out, unlike the Kingston and river area sites, our heavy mooring lines only comes up to about 10' below the surface. This is because we had a problem with the markers being cut off every time there was a fishing compitition in the area. Now that we are using buoys, we can't afford to loose them. Everything from the buoy down is welded. So now if they want to cut our lines they need either bolt cutters or to swim down at least 10' to do it.

When we drop the lines in the fall we attach a lighter line and a foam filled jug to the top of the heavy line. If there's no ice, it makes for an easy pick up come spring. For the Port Dalhousie wreck however we added line and a water filled jug and a small weight to sink it for the winter as it has been snagged by freighters coming into the Welland canal several times before. The jug was just to make it easy to float up in spring. When we did this last fall, we were worried that we didn't have enough weight and the only thing we had to add was John's anchor.

All that's needed is the mooring buoy chain shakled through the eye of the heavy line at 10' with the pin secured with a couple of tie wraps. The blue line and plastic jug should be untied and removed as they are not needed and will only get entangled with the other floating tag line and or divers.

I filed a Notice to Shipping with the Coastguard this morning and it should be on the radio today. I won't have the official number until it makes it to their web site which they update evry Monday. If any one hears the number on the radio before hand, drop me a line as I have to add it to our web site as well. Notice is as follows

Lake_Ontario - West End - Chart 2077 - 3/31/2003 A privately maintained white and orange mooring buoy with reflective tape marked "PRIV" Heritage Site-Shipwreck has been placed to mark an unidentified wreck in position 43 14.769N 079 17.075W

Tom R:
Jonathan,

It's the line on the bottom that should thread through the clothes line pully that's missing.

Don't know what happened there, It was bnrand new when the buoy came off last fall. It is designed to pull off before causeing any damage to the wreck however. When are you going out this weekend? I might be able to drop by with some new parts.

Come -a -long????? Now I'm really confused. Ian

Ian:

Jon's chain that he used for the temporary line (Up until this past weekend) had a chain at the bottom. It got entangled in the 3-way chain link at the bottom and I couldn't get it un-wrapped. We need to get some slack in the line so I can unwrap it. Thusly the come-along.

Getting damn confusing isn't it? hehehe Naw, it's all coming together just fine. I always wondered just what was up with all this extra "junk" I was seeing, but now I understand why it's done the way it is.

I think 2-3 weeks ago when I last looked, it didn't have the pulley system attached, but I could be wrong. I am sure it wasn't there last Saturday either. (I didn't get a chance to look, I was busy with the task at hand).

I'll check it all out in a couple of days, from top to bottom.

You made me laugh when you mentioned that some of the links were welded. I would have looked REAL silly trying to undo a welded pin from a shackle!!!

Jon told be about them before I went down, so before I "tried" I look for the spot-weld :)

Scuba_Steve:
Ian:

Jon's chain that he used for the temporary line (Up until this past weekend) had a chain at the bottom. It got entangled in the 3-way chain link at the bottom and I couldn't get it un-wrapped. We need to get some slack in the line so I can unwrap it. Thusly the come-along.

Getting damn confusing isn't it? hehehe Naw, it's all coming together just fine. I always wondered just what was up with all this extra "junk" I was seeing, but now I understand why it's done the way it is.

I think 2-3 weeks ago when I last looked, it didn't have the pulley system attached, but I could be wrong. I am sure it wasn't there last Saturday either. (I didn't get a chance to look, I was busy with the task at hand).

I'll check it all out in a couple of days, from top to bottom.

You made me laugh when you mentioned that some of the links were welded. I would have looked REAL silly trying to undo a welded pin from a shackle!!!

Jon told be about them before I went down, so before I "tried" I look for the spot-weld :)

I've had a couple of PM's with Johnathon, and he sort of explained it to me although he hadn't seen the mess itself.
If theres room , I might come along this weekend or at least get some parts to you. I had suggeated to JB that before you hassel with the come-a-long, try letting some air out of the 5 gallon jug before hooking up the boat. That should allow all the chains to slacken off enought to untangle everything. If not, bolt cutters work great, just be sure to cut the right chain. Working a come-a-long 10' off the bottom won't be as easy as you think.

Just so you know, we went with the 3 1200# anchors in a tripod there because 2500# was the limit on the crane on the boat we used. we wanted more than 2500# because of the hard bottom. We also thought the tripod system would be harder to move. All our Lake Erie ones use single blocks, but they get well sunk into the mud which gives us better grip.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom