Ssi Vs Padi And Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
You're comparing the two most rigid systems, so that's expected, except I think you get more water work with SSI.
The only other "water work" is a snorkeling dive. I just went through their standards book yesterday and have been on many outings where SSI open water classes were being performed. They snorkel around the boat and dive down to the bottom once, while the instructor indirectly supervises. We did the same thing but it is optional. I have not yet researched the other programs because in our area, there are two and only two choices, PADI and SSI. Then again, I have seen YMCA programs where class and confined water are 2 days, such as an ad from Mick's Scuba in Fargo for Feb. 24 and 25. All YMCA instructors must not include the large number of hours required by Walter. We do 10 hours classroom and 8 to 12 hours pool, plus remedial.

Clyde Cessna built his first aircraft and taught himself how to fly, by crashing, and recrashing.

Scuba diving is much simpler, and safer than flying... I appreciate Walter and Thalassamia critique of diving instruction. It does disturb me that my OW instruction was not as good as it could be....

But, it introduced me to the ocean... and I appreciate my PADI instructor for essentially giving his time for free to train me through OW and AOW. $120 bucks for the 2 courses, rental gear included.

Don Wray:
in our area, there are two and only two choices, PADI and SSI.

Same here, and I live in a very large metropolitan area. Doesn't matter how you got certified, it is what you do afterward makes a different. Even Thallassamia started out in Padi, right??

fisherdvm:
Same here, and I live in a very large metropolitan area. Doesn't matter how you got certified, it is what you do afterward makes a different. Even Thallassamia started out in Padi, right??

LOL, I think Thal started diving long before there was a PADI.

It is what you do afterwards that makes the difference. It has to be that way because they certify people to dive without teaching them how. You have to take your card and go find a way to learn how to dive or just keep floundering around.

The question is, what is it that you're going to do? Take another class from those who didn't teach you the first time around?

Don Wray:
The only other "water work" is a snorkeling dive. I just went through their standards book yesterday and have been on many outings where SSI open water classes were being performed. They snorkel around the boat and dive down to the bottom once, while the instructor indirectly supervises. We did the same thing but it is optional. I have not yet researched the other programs because in our area, there are two and only two choices, PADI and SSI.
Sorry, last time I looked SSI required six dives.

fisherdvm:
No. I learned to dive in 1956 (pre agencies). My first certification (1968?) was from Dr. Bob Titchnell and it was NAUI. I got a PADI AI card in the early 1970s by helping out my boss at the hospital.

Well, here it is from the SSI 2007 training standards on their website:

6. The Open Water Diver course requires a minimum
of four open water scuba dives. No more than
three open water scuba dives may be conducted
per day for Open Water Diver training. The three
scuba dives may be any combination of training
and excursion dives.​
Whenever practical, a snorkel
dive and additional open water scuba dives are
recommended. Snorkel skills are required but may
be combined with open water scuba dives. If a
student does not successfully complete all skills
during a dive they may complete those skills during
a dive later that same day or at another time.

7. All four open water scuba training dives must be

Don Wray:
Well, here it is from the SSI 2007 training standards on their website:
7. All four open water scuba training dives must be
Thanks, things do change and regress to the worst common denominator.

That is a change, SSI did require 6 dives. NAUI & YMCA require 5. With NAUI 4 are SCUBA and one can be either SCUBA or skin. With YMCA 4 are SCUBA and one must be skin.

i am starting the ssi program(that is why i started this thread to get an opinion on the program compared to others) this weekend it required us to do a home study part read a book watch a video then on saturday we will take a written test must obtain 80% then a day and a half of pool work then two weeks later to vortex springs to open water part will be either 5 or 6 dives that weekend

loosebits:
NAUI has more requirements than PADI and SSI for completing OW. That doesn't mean every NAUI instructor out there will teach a better class than every PADI instructor out there but it does mean that it is better to have a NAUI instructor teaching the bare minimum than a PADI instructor doing the same.

In other words, it is the agency that defines how low the bar can be.

PADI has generally led the way in hacking away requirements for OW. From what I know of SSI, they have done a good job keeping up.
I agree. After researching various agencies, I chose NAUI. Just a look at the training text speaks volumes. It seems that some agencies like to dumb down the scientific and physiological aspects of dive training. Also of course, the drills and such that are included are quite different. In basic OW, we had basic rescue training and other essential emergency drills.

Back
Top Bottom