Ssi Vs Padi And Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe that so many of you are sucked in by the RSTC crap.

CatFishBob:
Nearly all the US training agencies belong to the RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Counsel) and adhear to the RSTC standards (which are virtually verbatim the ANSI standards). PADI is actually one of the few agencies that do not belong to the RSTC, but their standards are still virtually the same.

PADI is a member, NAUI is not. Standards are written by the agencies, not by the RSTC. If SSI dropped the number of required dives from 6 to 4, they did it voluntarily. The RSTC cannot require members to lower standards. Members of RSTC must have standards that meet or exceed the RSTC standards. There are big differences in standards from one agency to another. Perhaps you migh want to actually read the standards of other agencies before saying they are the same. The RSTC is merely an excuse for agencies with low standards to claim their standards meet those of "the industry" and an easy way to lie to us all, claiming there's no difference.

samnewsom:
well gary what should i expect on the test and if you know where can i get other study modules all i have is the book and video they gave do you have any suggestions

Read the book, watch the video, ask questions of your instructor. Listen to what you are told, practice the skills, and do not be discouraged if you cannot get something right on the first try.

There is no such thing as a stupid question; there are, however, many stupid answers.

Using the video and the book I just took the written test and passed it with 100%. Listen to what the instructor says. If all they are doing is having you read the answers from the book, remind them you paid x to do more than read the answers. There are no trick questions, just some poorly worded ones.

"Show me volumes, no one is dumbing down anything, here's NAUI's description:
......"

I was merely stating my opinion. Perhaps the use of "speaks volumes" was excessive. The text you have presented is just an introduction. The overall material IMO was very thorough. I preferred the approach to the NAUI material over others.

IDEA, PADI, PDIC, SDI, SSI, YMCA, NAUI Japan, ACUC, BARAKUDA, NASDS.

All members of this "RSTC Crap" some of you allude to. So while NAUI America may not be apart of it NAUI Japan is. But I guess they do not count as NAUI.

The standards wording may not be identicle but it is all very similar. There are a couple of extras in NAUI or SSI or even PADI that are not in the other agencies courses but the core skills are pretty much the same.

Universal Referral and IDEA, NASDS, NAUI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA are all happy with instructors from IDEA, NASDS, NAUI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA, including PADI Instructors, from testing their students in the Open Water. Then these students go back to their original instructor and get certified without the instructor ever seeing them in Open Water. All an instructor needs do is affiliate with Universal Referral. If these agencies are happy with this then I would say that they are happy with the instructors being produced by these agencies.

drew52:
IDEA, PADI, PDIC, SDI, SSI, YMCA, NAUI Japan, ACUC, BARAKUDA, NASDS.

All members of this "RSTC Crap" some of you allude to. So while NAUI America may not be apart of it NAUI Japan is. But I guess they do not count as NAUI.

The standards wording may not be identicle but it is all very similar. There are a couple of extras in NAUI or SSI or even PADI that are not in the other agencies courses but the core skills are pretty much the same.

Universal Referral and IDEA, NASDS, NAUI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA are all happy with instructors from IDEA, NASDS, NAUI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA, including PADI Instructors, from testing their students in the Open Water. Then these students go back to their original instructor and get certified without the instructor ever seeing them in Open Water. All an instructor needs do is affiliate with Universal Referral. If these agencies are happy with this then I would say that they are happy with the instructors being produced by these agencies.
Drew, you simply do not know what you are talking about. Have you ever attended an RSTC meeting as the representative of an agency? No? Well there are folks in this conversation who have. Do you know what ANSI is? Do you know how it works? Do you know who the RSTC members were in its last incarnation? Do you know why NAUI and LA County and some others choose to not join the RSTC in its current incarnation? Can you answer even one of these questions?

En boca serrada no entran moscas.

Back
Top Bottom