Ssi Vs Padi And Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I have to wonder if SSI has changed thier log books. Just looked at mine, the sign off page for OW states that you must have had 1 snorkel "dive" and 5 OW dives before the instr. can sign off. That was from two years ago.

Sam definatly know your out of class material before class we had 12 people in our class, 6 of them must have thought that they would learn all of the stuff in the classroom then take the test. This even though it was stressed that you needed to do the work before hand. Needless to say at our openwater dives we had only 6 people of which only four of us ended up gettng cert.

Thalassamania:
No. I learned to dive in 1956 (pre agencies). My first certification (1968?) was from Dr. Bob Titchnell and it was NAUI. I got a PADI AI card in the early 1970s by helping out my boss at the hospital.

I knew you are an old fart!! An old fart is defined as someone who is 10 years older than myself (and the age gets increased by one each year)...

Daxter:

That cat looks exactly like mine!!! Down to the little white patch on her chest!!!

Thalassamania:
Thanks, things do change and regress to the worst common denominator.

Absolutely no disagreement there.......thanks to you and Walter, I have decided I will not use minimum standards in my courses (if and when I pass my IE)...I checked yesterday and as long as I adhere to the minimums, I can add valuble things to my courses.

Don Wray:
Absolutely no disagreement there.......thanks to you and Walter, I have decided I will not use minimum standards in my courses (if and when I pass my IE)...I checked yesterday and as long as I adhere to the minimums, I can add valuble things to my courses.

From my understanding, that's one of the big differences between PADI and SSI.

PADI discourages going beyond the requirements, and SSI allows it.

Terry

Don Wray:
Thank you, to get just one candidate to see this makes it all worth while. Next comes your confrontation with the bitter reality of time. You'll find all the things that you feel you must add, and there will not be enough time scheduled for you to do so. When that happens (and it will) feel free to come back to use and we'll brainstorm with you. Best of luck, but then you will not need luck.

samnewsom:
i am starting the ssi program(that is why i started this thread to get an opinion on the program compared to others) this weekend it required us to do a home study part read a book watch a video then on saturday we will take a written test must obtain 80% then a day and a half of pool work then two weeks later to vortex springs to open water part will be either 5 or 6 dives that weekend

AND the point is?

iholly:
I agree. After researching various agencies, I chose NAUI. Just a look at the training text speaks volumes. It seems that some agencies like to dumb down the scientific and physiological aspects of dive training. Also of course, the drills and such that are included are quite different. In basic OW, we had basic rescue training and other essential emergency drills.

Show me volumes, no one is dumbing down anything, here's NAUI's description:
Your underwater adventure begins! Imagine watching the water level move up your mask as you slowly go below the surface - and continue to breathe! It's the most exciting feeling imaginable and yours when you become a NAUI Scuba Diver!
Scuba Diver is our entry level scuba certification course during which you will learn the fundamental knowledge and skills to safely scuba dive in open water. When you complete your class you and your buddy will be free to explore and discover the many wonders of the underwater world…and, you will have earned a NAUI Scuba Diver certification card – the most respected diver certification card in the world!
Come on and dive in…a lifetime of fun, adventure, memories, experiences, and new friends awaits you!

WHAT YOU WILL LEARN

Your instructor will teach you about dive equipment, the science of diving, responsible diving practices and the environment. You will also learn many skills in the water with practice time for your safety and comfort; and complete your training with a minimum of five open water dives.

HOW DO YOU GET STARTED?

As long as you are 12 years or older and in good physical condition, you can enroll in a NAUI Scuba Diver course. Find a NAUI Training Center or Instructor near you by visiting the Dive Center Locator. Sign up for your class, grab your bathing suit and get ready to have FUN!

WHAT’S NEXT?

Once you become a certified diver, perhaps you want to further your training with an Advanced Scuba Diver or Rescue Scuba Diver course? Maybe you or someone you know was certified long ago and needs a refresher course. Perhaps you want to become a dive professional and go all the way to Divemaster or even become an Instructor! Whatever your scuba and skin diving needs, we can help you realize your dreams!

Thalassamania:
Thank you, to get just one candidate to see this makes it all worth while. Next comes your confrontation with the bitter reality of time. You'll find all the things that you feel you must add, and there will not be enough time scheduled for you to do so. When that happens (and it will) feel free to come back to use and we'll brainstorm with you. Best of luck, but then you will not need luck.

Thanks Thal, I have no time limitations other than those imposed by the students. I am retired, have a great pension, not in this for money and will do as I see fit to help students learn to be safe, knowledgeable divers. If one year after I open my shop, I see I am short changing students, I'll quit! BTW, I love your bio....interesting dive life....you started diving the year I started breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom