Ssi Vs Padi And Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
From my understanding, that's one of the big differences between PADI and SSI.

PADI discourages going beyond the requirements, and SSI allows it.

Terry

I do find where they discourage going outside the standards, they recommend adherence to the plan. I do not see where you cannot add things that may be covered in other classes to the basic class. As long as it is taught in the system somewhere along the line, that is a standard. If I add more to basic that is covered in other classes, my loss if they don't take the class. The theory is the same. The only problem I have found with SSI is being tied to a shop. I am not trying to say that PADI is the endall or anywhere near the authority to dive instruction. Just that, before throwing stones, be exactly sure you're not living in a glass house, from the organizations standards.

jviehe:
The "course" is not even called Advanced Open Water again. It is called Adventures in Diving, which can result in several different certifications or none. Part of it is to serve as an intro to specialities.
That is why I prefer the SSI approach to AOW. In SSI, you don't just do an intro to specialties, you actually have to complete 4 specialty courses. Plus, you have to have 24 dives before you can recieve your AOW card.

Exactly.
split0101:
I love the PADI vs SSI vs "some other agency" posts. It seems its the same conversation as the "LDS vs online sales" posts.
It tends to be more of a religeous argument than a rational one.

split0101:
One of my buddies did his OW cert through SSI and I did mine through PADI, I dont think selecting one over the other makes you a better diver over the other. I read through his course material and it was so similar to the PADI OW material that they are almost interchangeable.
Nearly all the US training agencies belong to the RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Counsel) and adhear to the RSTC standards (which are virtually verbatim the ANSI standards). PADI is actually one of the few agencies that do not belong to the RSTC, but their standards are still virtually the same.

Thalassamania:
Sorry, last time I looked SSI required six dives.
SSI originally did require 6 OW dives, but when they joined the RSTC, the RSTC standards said 4 dives, so they reduced the "required" dives to 4, but recommend additional dives.

In my last class, I had the class do 5 OW scuba dives during the actual class. Then, I convinced them to join me on the following weekend on a local charter boat to do 2 more dives. (The follow-on boat dives aren't my original idea. It's something our store has been doing for quite some time.) Giving them 7 dives under the supervision of an instructor.

As for the snorkel dive, when the weather is nice, I do a separate snorkel dive. But when the weather is nasty, as it has been lately, I combine the snorkel skills with the first scuba dive, as the standards allow. It just makes sense. When you are teaching students in 44degree water, doing a snorkel dive first, just gets them pre-chilled before their scuba dives.

i was just wondering what can you do to prepare yourself more i have watched the video did the end of chapter test what else would a good idea to do to prepare myself for the test and other part of the exam

CatFishBob:
Exactly.
It tends to be more of a religeous argument than a rational one.

Nearly all the US training agencies belong to the RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Counsel) and adhear to the RSTC standards (which are virtually verbatim the ANSI standards). PADI is actually one of the few agencies that do not belong to the RSTC, but their standards are still virtually the same.
Uhhhh I will double check but I think PADI is on the RSTC board

CatFishBob:
That is why I prefer the SSI approach to AOW. In SSI, you don't just do an intro to specialties, you actually have to complete 4 specialty courses. Plus, you have to have 24 dives before you can recieve your AOW card.

Thanks. I thought I was the only SSI advocate in on this discusting.:D

well gary what should i expect on the test and if you know where can i get other study modules all i have is the book and video they gave do you have any suggestions

Sam, just make sure that you understand the book not just the questions at the end. After reading and doing the questions I went back and studied the book again to see what I could find. Pay attention to the vidio. You will be fine for the test. One more thing understand the tables and know how to use them.

As far as the pool work be comfortable taking your mask off. Be able to swim, I think it is 200 meters, no wetsuit to help you float. Although now I think you can use fins for 400 meters, next thing you know they will be letting people use inflatable rafts but that is for another rant. Be able to tread water for 10 mins. no wetsuit. Relax and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom