SSI versus PADi versus Naui question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is a question from a total noobie. I will begin my open water class through a SSI affiliated school next wednesday. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the various agencies? Will my SSI cert transfer if I want to take further classes offered by a non SSI Shop?

The place that I am going has a good rep, but is also the only shop for 200 miles. So my choice of an SSI course is based more on geography than anything else.

If your looking for quality of classes, this is mainly dependent on the quality of the instructor for your class. This can be best determined by asking the instructor some questions before signing up. You might ask whether they overweight their students, if they teach extra skills, and do they get into gas management (though I doubt they would for an OW class). From what I've heard NAUI has a good reputation in general, though again this is instructor dependent.

Certifications *should* be transferable up to the divemaster (or equiv) level. So for instance if you took an PADI OW certification, you could go do a SSI AOW certification, then a NAUI rescue course if you desired.

Good luck with your course!

[FONT=&quot]I have certifications from NAUI, PADI, and SSI and they all are good agencies. The quality of the instruction is mainly on your instructor, some are better then others and that is in any agency. As far as being able to cross train with your SSI cert. yes. I did my OW with NAUI then went to PADI for my AWO then SSI for my Nitrox.[/FONT]

The instructor makes the class. I've had good ones and bad ones up thru my diving but I choose NAUI because of the overall philosophy. They push knowledge down.

I am not agency bashing! I don't need 100 hate responses and PM's.

NAUI and SSI are probably more alike that either compared to PADI. NAUI pushes almost all the science and skills of diving down to OW, AOW, Rescue and Master Diver. Their focus on DM, AI and Ins is on leadership, not learning how to dive, which is where I think the focus should be.

That said a good instructor regardless of the agency absoluletly makes the course what is is, informative and fun!

So find an instructor you like and trust and stick with him or her. You'll get the most out of that relationship than just taking a class.

Good luck with your continuing ed!

:popcorn:

SharkDiver36:
NAUI and SSI are probably more alike that either compared to PADI. NAUI pushes almost all the science and skills of diving down to OW, AOW, Rescue and Master Diver.

I tend to disagree with this. I have observed my son through his SSI program (dove with him on most dives and pool sessions), read through the SSI book, and took their exam - they are no different than PADI.

finflippers:
[FONT=&quot]I have certifications from NAUI, PADI, and SSI and they all are good agencies. The quality of the instruction is mainly on your instructor, some are better then others and that is in any agency. As far as being able to cross train with your SSI cert. yes. I did my OW with NAUI then went to PADI for my AWO then SSI for my Nitrox.[/FONT]
And YMCA, how do you find?

All the major agencies have quality programs. As others have said, the individual instructors make a big difference. The basic information to be conveyed is pretty much the same because nearly all the agencies belong to the Recreational Scuba Training Council, which establishes the standards for OW course content.

RSTC: http://www.wrstc.com/agency.php?country=usa
You'll see that both PADI and SSI belong to this committee. It doesn't appear the NAUI does. But, still, NAUI covers pretty much the same info.

Many of the rest of the world's training agencies belong to the umbrella group to which the RSTC is a part, the WRSTC: http://www.wrstc.com/main.php

Buy your training from the store that you get the best feeling from, has the best attitude and you believe will treat you the way you want to be treated. Don't worry what agency they represent. They are all accepted virtually everywhere.

(One last interesting note: Of the four most well known US agencies: PADI, NAUI, SSI and YMCA - PADI and SSI are for-profit organizations, NAUI and YMCA are non-profits.)

The quality of your Open Water course is instructor dependent. Where you'll find differences is in the Advanced programs - NAUI cirriculum is more of a leader here. But, all agencies offer good OW and Rescue, that's where you start.

Good luck.

daniel f aleman:
The quality of your Open Water course is instructor dependent. Where you'll find differences is in the Advanced programs - NAUI cirriculum is more of a leader here. But, all agencies offer good OW and Rescue, that's where you start.

Good luck.
I'd like to amplify one of the points above. Most people tend to think that the progression of training is: OW, AOW, then Rescue. I highly recommend that you take Rescue after OW. It will do more to improve your confidence than AOW will, and it will make you a better buddy.

After you've been diving for a while, you will get more out AOW.

Back
Top Bottom