SSI versus PADi versus Naui question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CatFishBob:
I'd like to amplify one of the points above. Most people tend to think that the progression of training is: OW, AOW, then Rescue. I highly recommend that you take Rescue after OW. It will do more to improve your confidence than AOW will, and it will make you a better buddy.
most people think that because most are PADI, where AOW is required before Rescue. (Of course you could do it differently by using a different agency.)

CatFishBob:
I'd like to amplify one of the points above. Most people tend to think that the progression of training is: OW, AOW, then Rescue. I highly recommend that you take Rescue after OW. It will do more to improve your confidence than AOW will, and it will make you a better buddy.

After you've been diving for a while, you will get more out AOW.

That progression can occur with SSI. However, with PADI, you cannot do rescue until you have taken AOW. You have to do some basic navigation and search and rescue skill in rescue, which you are expected to know.

fisherdvm:
That progression can occur with SSI. However, with PADI, you cannot do rescue until you have taken AOW. You have to do some basic navigation and search and rescue skill in rescue, which you are expected to know.

Yeah, that's what I learned in my SSI Stress/Rescue course.

And the SSI progression of skill levels is one of the reasons that I prefer SSI.

Actually you can begin a PADI Rescue Diver course as an Open Water diver (without AOW). You can participate in the confined water training exercises (of which there are 10) straight after your OE course if you wish. These can easily be completed inside a day, although I usually take longer. You have to do AOW before you can participate in the 4 scenarios in the open water and get certified as a Rescue Diver.

Cheers

C.

Thanks everybody.

I signed up[ prior to finding out much of this. I have made just about every rookie mistake so far. I apparently found the board too late. I dropped into the shop yesterday and got clarification. Through small talk I found that we know many of the same folk. Further checking said that it was a good school.

I heard rumor about a 200 yard swim test, so I have been swimming a mile to a mile and a half each morning for the past 2 weeks. The lady at tthe shop assured me that the swim is done with fins!

I am stoked about getting started. I have read the manual and answered all the questions. Do ya'll have any other suggestions?

SnakeRiverPirate:
I am stoked about getting started. I have read the manual and answered all the questions. Do ya'll have any other suggestions?

If you've read the manual and completed the knowledge reviews, and if you have your table, I'd recommend going through the table exercises and really understanding how those work.

Damselfish:
most people think that because most are PADI, where AOW is required before Rescue. (Of course you could do it differently by using a different agency.)
Sorry, I didn't realize that PADI had such a restriction. I'm an SSI instructor. I think it's unfortunate that they do that. You can always take Rescue from SSI. You don't have to have an SSI OW to take SSI Continuing Ed courses.

CatFishBob:
Sorry, I didn't realize that PADI had such a restriction. I'm an SSI instructor. I think it's unfortunate that they do that. You can always take Rescue from SSI. You don't have to have an SSI OW to take SSI Continuing Ed courses.

PADI wants to make sure that those doing the rescue course have had a bit of experience after OW certification. They don't want to have to turn a rescue course into a rescue event.

It's definitely arguable if their AOW course by itself is sufficient to guarantee that this happens, but I'm pretty sure the actual requirement is that the diver have AOW and 20 logged dives . . .

I agree that every diver should be rescue trained. I don't think that PADI's requirements are unfortunate. I think that it's actually somewhat prudent to ask that divers get some experience before they task load themselves.

Kingpatzer:
...It's definitely arguable if their AOW course by itself is sufficient to guarantee that this happens, but I'm pretty sure the actual requirement is that the diver have AOW and 20 logged dives . . .
SSI is the other way around. You have to have 24 dives to get an AOW. They want to make sure that if your card says "advanced" that you actually have some experience to back that up.

I guess it's 6 to one, half-a-dozen to the other.

Please read my post - you don't have to have PADI AOW to enrol on a PADI Rescue course. You can complete all the confined open water exercises as an Open Water Diver. Yes, you do need to be AOW before you can do the open ocean exercises and be certified as a rescue diver, but it's not a requirement to start.

You also do not require 20 dives to enrol on a Rescue if you have a PADI OW license.

PADI and SSI have different philosophies with respect to their AOW certification. AOW from PADI is an exposure to different types of environments and equipment plus some further training with Navigation and deeper diving.

If you were to take OW, AOW and Rescue from PADI you've got a fairly comprehensive skill set to go diving with, albeit fairly inexperienced. You then go off and build on that which is why PADI are promoting their Master Scuba Diver rating so heavily - Rescue + 5 specialties + 50 dives. This of course gives them an opportunity to sell more things and therefore earn more money, but hey, it's a business right!? I'm a PADI person but I see no particular problems with any of the major agencies, they just have differing approaches to the same thing.

Safe diving (and responsible beer drinking!)

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom