Local shops moving away from SDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DVNGN8-E

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning everyone!

I’ve noticed a recent trend here in DFW that several shops who were primarily SDI-based are moving away from it towards NAUI, SSI, and PADI. Is this just a fluctuation of industry trend, or are training opinions shifting away from SDI due to some perceived “issue” with their training/class structure? Looking for thoughts/opinions/insight…

For what it’s worth, the certs that I currently own are SDI and I’m always looking to continue learning and improving my skills to become a better diver. I also recognize that each agency has their own pros and cons - especially when you reach the higher levels specialties. I simply would like to make sure that I’m pursuing the best possible training available - and knowing of course that also depends on the instructors and their focus on the individual student becoming better divers versus pushing certs because of the dollar.

just thought I would pose the question to the group for any insight and perhaps constructive conversation. Hope you’re all well!

~Nate

Which shops? The only one I'm really familiar with is Scuba Adventures in Plano, and they're SDI.

Which shops? The only one I'm really familiar with is Scuba Adventures in Plano, and they're SDI.
ScubaToys in Dallas, High Tide in Mansfield - those are two i know of… International Scuba in Carrollton and Plano are still SDI also…

Go for instructor not agency. In the recreational world the actual standards are the same the way the material is presented if different, but it's the same material and required skills.

A good instructor regardless of agency will focus just not on the required skills and materials but will also do stuff to help you become a better diver above what is just required.

For example in just open water the requirements are just do the skills a lot of instructors will have the students kneeling, a good instructor will have them neutral in proper trim doing them. The same applies across all the classes.

Back
Top Bottom