SSI Tech XR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonenglishlee

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had the SSI Tech XR class yet? I am starting the class on April 1st and i wonder what people think about it?

I haven't taken the course, but six or so months back I asked the same question and didn't receive a response. If you could give your impressions of your experience I'd be interested. A local SSI shop is one of the very few shops that offer tech courses here in Kansas and since it is a relatively new program there isn't much in the way of reviews.

I have read many threads saying that the tech experience is all about finding the right instructor. I have uncle ricky teaching me, so i think that is covered. i was just trying to find out any reactions to the course itself. I hope all goes well. But i will definately try and keep you posted on how the class goes!

How funny. I didn't get a response on SB from anyone so I headed over to TDS. TDS said talk to Uncle Ricky so I came back here and sent him a PM. I would definitely have less reservation if Uncle Ricky was my instructor. I pretty sure the issue I was facing was that the program was so new, very few students had gone through the program so feedback was lacking.

well in a couple of weeks SB will hopefully have its first Tech XR graduate (and therefore qualified critic), as far as my research has gathered. if all goes to plan :wink:

I'm in the middle of it.

So far I like it. Very comprehensive, but the materials are well laid out in my opinion.

My instructor I enjoy quite a bit, which definitly helps. I am a true believer that you can have a great class go to crap if you have a poor instructor for any reason.

I saw folks asking a while back, but I hadn't started yet so I kept my unformed opinions to myself. Figured at that point it was better for others wth more information to speak up.

Having said that, you'll probably finish before I do since stupid work is about to get in the way of my checkout dives I believe!!

Best of luck, and safe diving.

Has anyone had the SSI Tech XR class yet? I am starting the class on April 1st and i wonder what people think about it?

You might PM fellow board member LVX....he is an SSI Tech Instrc., I bet he can offer some input.

Yes, that is true. I am a SSI Tech XR instructor here in Austin, Texas. As others have mentioned, the materials are well put together but in truth it is the instructor who makes or breaks the class. From a strictly organizational point of view, the materials are very comprehensive.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to answer.

thanks

layne

thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it. I will definately post any questions i come across. especially the ones that uncle ricky cant answer! (yeah right)

I look forward to your responses. I am thinking of taking this class in Brooklyn, NY some time this summer. I am shooting to start around the same time as you. Hopefully, I will be able to post my experiences here when I am completed. Good luck from 1/2 across the country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom