SSI Tech XR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heyhey, what things does the TechXR class cover?

I looked it over briefly and I thought initially that it was a trumped up class to squeeze a few more $ out of a person; my thoughts are that there would be alot of redundancy between Advanced/Wreck/Nitrox/Rescue and this Tech class ... to put is another way, if one wholly expected to take AOW, Wreck, Nitrox and Rescue what additional skills would I gain by taking the TechXR class? what do those skills allow me to do that I cant do already? is this (additional?) knowledge worth the $300 class price?

To me, so far, it is not...

but only time will tell.

To oversimplify it....

Tech XR means Tech: Extended Range.

It, from my current understanding after Module 1 and all the deco algorithms and calculations, is that it is an intro to teachings that Advanced/Wreck/Nitrox/Rescue do not come close to covering. Decompression dives. Not the sort of deco you get into when you blow your tables by five minutes, but how to prepare, plan, dive, and live through a dive with stage decompression stops planned into it and how to manage all aspects of such a dive logistically. Equipment, tables, calculations, gasses.

Like I said...that's oversimplifying it, and it's late and wok is trying to kill me.

That help?

From the manual, so far i have covered advanced gas planning (back gas and deco) and decompression with up to 50% mix. the later sections of tech xr cover advanced decompression with up to 100% oxygen and it even gets into hypoxic trimix. it is much much more indepth than any AOW classes i have seen. i am covering new ground that was only briefly mentioned in my nitrox class.

Jon

You are fortunate to have the creme de la creme of instructors and others for experience than most any diver in the world. What you will get from the class is what you put into it.

Spread your experience by attending such events as the DOG days at Pelham Quarry next weekend and experiencing the gear that is available. Then dive with us when you can.

What you might want to know is that Rick developed the first Advanced Nitrox Course sanctioned by SSI before the Tech XR bud existed.

Rick is a well studied person who knows more about such stuff than probably anyone else anywhere. Read your lessons, come to class and listen, and go do it.

God you're a lucky guy with the resources you have available!!

Jon

You are fortunate to have the creme de la creme of instructors and others for experience than most any diver in the world. What you will get from the class is what you put into it.

Spread your experience by attending such events as the DOG days at Pelham Quarry next weekend and experiencing the gear that is available. Then dive with us when you can.

What you might want to know is that Rick developed the first Advanced Nitrox Course sanctioned by SSI before the Tech XR bud existed.

Rick is a well studied person who knows more about such stuff than probably anyone else anywhere. Read your lessons, come to class and listen, and go do it.

God you're a lucky guy with the resources you have available!!

Everytime i go diving, and see other instructors and classes, it re-enforces my belief that i am with the best instructional staff out there. I look forward to all my future dives with the staff. The more I learn from you guys, the more i realize i dont know. I can just sit back and listen and try and soak it all in. I count myself very lucky for all the resources i have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom