Ssi - dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterSail

Happy in Doubles
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw a diver yesterday who seemed to be equipped in the DIR style, except that he had a console in the place of his pressure guage (which of course included the guage). I asked if he had done DIR training, and he said yes. I asked what agency and he said SSI. He also told me that his DIR instructor told him that the console was DIR.

Since when does SSI have a DIR curriculum? Is there something there, or must this have been a self-proclaimed DIR guy teaching his version?

It's not uncommon for instructors to teach for many agencies. It could be that your diver was not taking a DIR course, but that the instructor introduced some DIR concepts/content. Afterall, it's an approach/style of diving - not something proprietary to an agency.

SSI instructors are allowed to deviate from the 'official' curriculum. They quote something like 20% of what they teach can be different to the SSI material. That's why I liked my SSI Stress & Rescue course. The instructor was allowed to teach me various methods for different skills and then choose the one that I was most comfortable with or felt was the best.
So I can see an SSI instructor teaching in the BP/W /long hose setup. He just shouldn't call it DIR unless it is 100%.

DIR can mean different things. It could mean:

1) A broad and sweeping term, meaning only "to use a BP/W, long hose, necklace bungee and jet fins".

2) A mis-attribution of 'Hogarthian' diving equipment configuration.

3) The protocols, practices, principles, policies and philosophies of the agencies GUE or UTD.

The context is defined by the user, which can be confusing.

However, most experienced divers would attribute the 'correct' usage to definition 3. Novice divers, or those with little breadth of knowledge in the technical diving community tend to skew towards definition 1.

DIR isn't copyrighted, so anyone can call what they do DIR.

In the old DPF sub-forum the guidelines for acceptance were strictly either past experience with WKPP, or GUE or UTD training.

IMO, DIR means something more than simply hogarthian, which is what DIR winds up being if you let everyone who has taken a fundies course and teaches OW students how to dive a back plate and wing call what they're teaching "DIR". But there's no police to enforce that usage. Although, anyone who is really interested studying a system of diving and getting good enough at it in order to do aggressive diving will not be served well by "SSI DIR".

There has been quite a bit of bleed of "DIR" ideas into the general diving community in the PNW. It's generally a good thing. It does lead to some confusion, on occasion.

My husband is given to pointing out that the equipment requirements for a Fundamentals class include a pressure measuring device. It is not required that you have a brass and glass SPG, although that's recommended. He did his Fundies with a Cobra computer (as did I, although I changed shortly thereafter).

Since when does SSI have a DIR curriculum? Is there something there, or must this have been a self-proclaimed DIR guy teaching his version?

"DIR" is about all it will be, and it sounds like a case of people calling whatever they want DIR, even though it's clearly not.

Imagine if we lived in a world where any word or term could mean whatever we want at that particular moment, regardless of what everyone else thought it meant. Wouldn't that be nutty?

DIR is not just the gear ( a console is not DIR BTW). DIR is the whole package of the sum of the right equipment for the dive you planned + the right procedures + the right mental attitude + the proper training + the proper physical shape.

There is no such thing as semi DIR or almost DIR... It only works when the package is complete...

GUE btw is steering away from the term DIR (the term, not the concept)

I don't care what it's called......I think I'll know it when I see it. :)

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom