Ssi - dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't care what it's called......I think I'll know it when I see it. :)

-Mitch

The whole point is that you may think you see it while it is not really there... What looks like DIR may be a whole other story. More than half of what makes DIR work is just not visible.

If something deviates from GUE/UTD training and equipment standards, it probably is not DIR IMO...

Like not marking bottom stages?

You know, the interesting thing is that you are all focusing on how bad it is that it isn't pure GUE or whatever . . . I see the other side of this, which is that in the PNW, we are seeing a lot more divers in gear that works well and offers them a lot of functionality. I'm seeing more instructors teaching non-silting propulsion, and emphasizing situational awareness and functioning as a team. No, it isn't GUE or UTD diving -- but it's better diving and better instruction than people had available to them before, and I'll take it. Hooray for this SSI instructor, and who cares what he calls it?

Today diver X in his almost DIR gear was diving 40 meters on his single tank of air. That made it pretty clear that this guy wasn't DIR like I know it. I kept my mouth shut. I agree with Lynn that its a positive step that even bits and peices are filtering out into the mainstream.

DIR is not a gear configuration.

I seem to be saying that a lot.. :wink:

A lot of non-DIR divers use hog rigs.

I seem to be saying that a lot.. :wink:

Feel free to stop repeating it whenever you get bored.

The observation was that a diver claimed to have received DIR training from SSI. Based on what he learned in that training, he considers himself a DIR style diver.

The observation was not that he must be DIR because he had a hogartharian rig.

I seem to be saying that a lot..
03.gif

I don't think anyone was saying it was-- simply that getting the gear required for the DIR system to non DIR divers is a step in the right direction, even if it isn't the finish line.

No one specifically said that it was, but there are a few statements in this thread, and many other threads, that imply that posters primarily think of it that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom