spring strap wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wackodacko

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!!
After reading all the FAQs and instructions on how to make spring straps and how some parts of it is hard.. i've succumbed to this::

Where can I buy ready-made spring straps for my Mares plana avanti quattros? I hate my buckles and would love to buy spring straps w/o the hassle of making them.. everyone says they are soo much easier to use. I checked out Fifthd.com but it says its only for twin jets..
I also checked ebay---None..

helpp?
thanxxxxx

I am not aware of anyone that sells them for the Quattros. You have to buy the parts and make them yourself. They are real easy to make though. Especially if you use S-Hooks to attach the springs instead of wire. Then it shouldn't take more than an hour.

and pay for parts, you might be able to get one of your friendly neighborhood New England divers to make a pair for/with you.

I put a pair on my Mares Plana Avantis, and I could do it again. Of course, it wouldn't do much good unless I had your feet handy for sizing.

Doesn't John at Northeast Scuba Supply make them for quattros?

I'm with UP on this one,
Why not just go with Jets or Turtles? They are tried and proven, are reasonable in cost new or used, work super well, and from what I hear, are still the fin to beat?

Heck, there are tons of them on eBay, and Leisure Pro sells new jets for like $69, I think. Northeast Scuba Supply sells IDI fins too - clones of Jets and US Divers Rocket fins.

I think if you really knew how easy they were to make you'd kick yourself for buying them. I added some to my turtles. I bought the springs at mcmaster car for $13 US as i recall (the proper model was listed on some web site discussing spring straps). This gave 3 springs (so you can screw up one and still have 2 left). I cut about an inch off mine. Bent one loop out of them. Bought 20 feet of 1/2 inch clear dishwasher tubing for about $4 us. And used about 3.5 feet of line from a reel. Once the springs were delivered and i had the tubing, I think it was about 15 minutes from start to finish. My dive buddy didn't even have to cut his springs (he's got jetfins and the post area is a bit further back). I just connected the springs to the existing post thingy that attaches the regular straps to the rubber. Its a very easy process and very worth while.

steve

I had problems getting my 'end loops' reformed to the proper shape after having to cut 1" off of the length. I wasn't sure how to reform the 'circle' back into the spring properly....so it wasn't THAT easy for me....

The guys with the Mares Quatro's had it much easier since they could use a simple 'S' hook on theirs.

Back
Top Bottom