Spring Fin Straps for Mares Quattro Avanti Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highland makes these.

Attachments

• 20230223_054034.jpg
    20230223_054034.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20230223_054003.jpg
    20230223_054003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20230223_054023.jpg
    20230223_054023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 109
Mares sells them here, too expensive, about one third the price of the fins.:no:
How much are the ones above in the US?
Mares.jpg
:no:

Around $75, from what I can see.

I’ve used bungee from old style scubapro Seawing nova on those, you can usually find them used from broken nova’s

If you have the metal fin connectors you can find suitable springs in many hardware stores. Finding SS is hard (and expensive), but since they are visible you should be fine just monitoring the spring.
I recently had to resize my spring straps (changed boot size) and that is what I did. Bungee works well also, and is easier to size properly. Making sure the strap is the right size is very important. Marginally (1cm too long) left me with one fin on at the surface and the other drifting to the sea floor 104' below. Yes, we found each other.

$30 a pair here. Storm Stainless Steel Spring Straps (Pair)

What I find funny is that these fins seem to still be rather prevalent. I've had mine for maybe 25 years or more. It's about the only gear it seems from my browsing in general recreational terms....that has not been obsoleted by newer models.

So when I get back into diving I have already considered I should likely get new fin straps since elastomer in storage for 20+ years is not likely to be in great shape....

why would I want to consider these springs over a Mares OEM strap? I always enjoyed the release buckle that extends the strap but does not release it. Always worked well for me getting back on the boat, etc....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom