Sports Chalet Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Putting seals on means gluing them on, so it would be wasted effort to fit bad seals.

Either duck tape the wrists and the neck then see if you can do a pressure test.

Or

Take a gamble and have new seals fitted

Or

Fit the seals your self, you can always have new seals fitted professionally later if you are unhappy with your craftsmanship, once you have tested the suit.

Gareth

The person in question is talking about a DUI drysuit that has ZipSeal attachments. There is no gluing on required.

To the OP, It's likely the suit is fine. Awesome deal! Do you know anyone that already dives a DUI drysuit? Perhaps they can temporary take seals off their suit for you to test. It only takes a couple minutes to swap out seals.

Typically our rental suits do not have seals installed on them for same reason that @boulderjohn mentioned. We fit different seals for rentals and put them in sealed bags with talc to make them last a little longer. I would take a guess that is the reason the DUI suit you bought did not come with seals.

In any case if you're in Long Beach. DUI's headquarters are in San Diego. 2 hour road trip for you?

I do have some people I've dove with that have DUI. I can ask if they're willing to let me use their seals. I wasnt sure how delicate they were, so wasnt sure if it was even okay to ask.

I could certainly take a drive down to DUI. But I'm not sure how they'd feel about giving me assistance. I'm sure if I was taking it there with the intent to have them repair it, they'd be more than happy. But considering they'd know i bought it used, they may be less inclined to help.

I do have some people I've dove with that have DUI. I can ask if they're willing to let me use their seals. I wasnt sure how delicate they were, so wasnt sure if it was even okay to ask.

I could certainly take a drive down to DUI. But I'm not sure how they'd feel about giving me assistance. I'm sure if I was taking it there with the intent to have them repair it, they'd be more than happy. But considering they'd know i bought it used, they may be less inclined to help.

Not too delicate unless their seals are really old or worn out. I'm used to taking zipseals off drysuits. It's not a big deal.

Other things to check, inspect the zipper for fraying. That is most common failure on a drysuit zipper. The material still start fraying and once it gets down to edges of teeth you'll start getting a leak.

Check the seams inside the suit where they are aquasealed/glued. See if they're separating from the suit.

With TLS material, it's also fairly easy to look for leaks in a dark room with a flash light. With a flash light shining on the material you'll see any pinhole leaks as a light going through the suit.

You'd be surprised. DUI may be able to do a leak/inspection test for you. It might be worth giving them a call since you're "local."

At a quick glance, DUI charges $125 for their inspection/ leak testing services. Considering you bought the suit so cheap, it might be worth it. You can save $25 if you fill out repair form and provide payment information. Otherwise I would harass your friends with DUI drysuits to let you borrow their zip seals.
Drysuit Repair Service

Last edited:
Either borrow a set of Zip seals that happen to fit you, or go to Pacific Wilderness Dive Shop in San Pedro/LA and purchase them there AND do a leak check at the same time. (I just assisted a buddy of mine who just bought a Sport Chalet rental TLS at the liquidation sale at the Huntington Beach store).

Last edited:
Either borrow a set of Zip seals that happen ro fit you, or go to Pacific Wilderness Dive Shop in San Pedro/LA and purchase them there AND do a leak check at the same time. (I just assisted a buddy of mine who just bought a Sport Chalet rental TLS at the liquidation sale at the Huntington Beach store).

I'll probably do this. I like Pac Wild allot and just joined their dive club. I'm trying to build a good rapport with them, so this is probably the path I'll take.

Here's another choice for you.

If you are still unsure what to do, give me the sizing information. If it is right, I will pay you $75 plus shipping to take the decision making angst off your hands.

Walk into the ocean / pool with your hands over your head. You'll know pretty quickly if there are any obvious leaks.

That looks like a good fit. You have other choices besides zip seals if you don't like them, but if they're reasonable, go for it.

If you need any help with any DIY modifications, PM me and I'll help you out. I've replaced all seals and added a p-valve to mine.

I picked up an undergarment there for $12.

Here's another choice for you.

If you are still unsure what to do, give me the sizing information. If it is right, I will pay you $75 plus shipping to take the decision making angst off your hands.

Well, this is definitley not for sale. :)

But your question was not in vain. Tell me what size you are looking for and I'll check tomorrow. They had about 20 left as of Monday morning. I'm going tomorrow to see if I can find thermals and rockboots. A week ago they had probably a hundred pairs of the boots, so theres a good chance they still have some. Not sure about the rest.

The only size I know they wont have is Small as I got the last one. But most people are much bigger than me, so hopefully thats not what you are wanting. They had a pretty varied selection of Medium and Large in Normal, Wide, and Long.

Walk into the ocean / pool with your hands over your head. You'll know pretty quickly if there are any obvious leaks.

That looks like a good fit. You have other choices besides zip seals if you don't like them, but if they're reasonable, go for it.

If you need any help with any DIY modifications, PM me and I'll help you out. I've replaced all seals and added a p-valve to mine.

I picked up an undergarment there for $12.

Thank you for the offer. I'll probably reach out to you in the next few days. Since we live so close it would be good to sync up anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom