Sport Chalet Instruction...new rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
So, the best scenario would be to start off people with the tables to get a basic understanding of the stuff.... then drill computer use into them during OW! including DECO because that is what they will end up using

Agreed. I would not change the class at all, just add on. What I mean is, don't remove any problems, don't take anything away, just add on stuff. I will again mention the problem of teaching people how to use a particular computer. It's impossible to teach people too indepth because every computer is different. Even in manufacturers, I know how to use my ancient Suunto Favor S but i'd have to read the manual to use the Cobra, Vyper, Gekko or Mosquito. They are similar but different. So I don't think you can hammer it into them as much as I think you would like to. What would be nice would be a way to get the person who has already bought a computer to learn more about it in the class. Somehow get the instructor the manual, or in some way make him/her familiar with the computer. Then, the instructor can custom tailor the teaching to that particular ocmputer and run scenarios underwater making sure the client knows how to use the thing very well. But, this would be hard to do in classes with more than a few students. That leads to the point that the best approach might be a one on one or a one on two approach regardless of what is being taught.

Anyways, I think we all agree for the most part but enjoy debating it. Any chance we can see the memo from Sports Chalet so we know exactly what it says?

NetDoc:
You show me a hundred divers and I will show you 98 that don't do tables. Of course, you could stack the deck, but what are YOU thinking here? Do you really think that tables are used with any regularity by Joe and Josephine Diver? I don't think so.
Then qualify your premise as such Pete, and not with some dumb-arse blanket statement & idiotic statistic spin.

Studying Deco Processes and applying DCS Treatment Schedules critical to my job (and all the Catalina Hyperbaric Staff's Jobs) requires learning and regularly using the Tables --and IMO, should still remain part of the Fundamental Learning of every Basic Open Water Student.

Should or should not aside, if they are not teaching to PADI standards, IE using the tables, they will not be covered by PADI in a lawsuit. Sounds like thay have put this in writing so it is a slam dunk for any first year lawyer.

Kevrumbo:
Then qualify your premise as such Pete, and not with some dumb-arse blanket statement & idiotic statistic spin.
Dude... you are way out of line. You don't have to be quite so bombastic or condescending... even if your job depends on studying tables. You don't provide us ANY clinical data to the contrary: just caustic "dumb arse" statements which are the rhetorical equivalent of "Did too!" Give it a rest.

Of all the people you treat, just how many have tables on them when they dive? Do you even keep track of such a thing?

You can ADD to this discussion or just try to be a cyber bully. Your choice.

Sport Chalet ... they are using/teaching with tables ... the eRDP is a table

I do have tables and with some time, I can use them to plan a dive, did just that with my nitrox ones .. but, like a lot of people, I was one of those that had a computer before ever stepping foot in the ocean .. and I use that to plan but until I have more dives under my belt and have a better feel for what is correct time at depth, I will at least look at my table to get an idea, especially with nitrox ... and using a computer is not as easy when your new, and you do need to go over what exactly it is telling you, and where ... We could have more of that in class, like Mike and Doc have mentioned

Good point. Didn't think of it that way. Still the cards have value.

Through SDI we teach tables as a Historic means of tracking dives. They are taught but not as a primary means. Computers are taught. If your computer fails, your done diving for the day unless you carry a back up. I have not used tables in 15 years other than for deco. Bottom line is you can get bent by sticking to tables as easily as diving a computer without violating either. I'll trust my computer and teach computer diving to my students.

I wouldn't be averse to teaching new divers how to properly use their computers ... but if the industry's going to move in that direction wouldn't it be nice if computer functions, algorithms, and layouts were somewhat standardized?

Let's say you have students showing up in your class with Suunto, Oceanic, Dive Rite, Uwatec and Cochran computers ... what will you be planning to teach them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rongoodman:
In My Not So Honest Opinion
Honest? It's "Humble," but that's not taught in OW either. :D
Unfortunately, so many people have no idea what their computer is telling them. I have seen a TON of divers come to the surface and be in deco. "Can't you see that your computer is telling you something?" "Sure, but i have no idea what..."

"Well, you just locked up your computer for 24-36 hours..."

I have seen this quite often.
Hehe, uh - any mention that they just assaulted their body...?

I've seen this some. Right before I quit the older dive shop in Lubbock, I was on a trip to Roatan with them, a newbie locked her's up, and the head Inst/Owner just gave her a different one to dive with. :11:

More commonaly, diving with newbies & their computers, in pre & post dive chats, I've noticed that they often don't know what the comp is doing - just that it's "supposed to monitor their dives and take care of them." :silly:

I try to avoid using my Marine Corp voice with them...
NetDoc:
I think the eRDPs are about $20.00 or so. At least that's what I remember them being when I saw one earlier.

As for learning the ins and outs of diving a computer from a tiny manual... that's crazy talk. :D You're just learning the functions of your DC from that manual.
Really now? When you say something that strikes me as odd, I generally wonder what I'm doing wrong, but I encourage newbie friends to learn their computers by studying the manual extensively and running a lot of simulated dive drills until they know what it's saying on every drill.

I tell them the waterproof card that came with it is a hazard to a new owner, to put it away until they know the manual and computer, so they won't try to use it instead.

What am I not getting here....?? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom