Sport Chalet Instruction...new rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learning the tables method seems like a good way to learn about N2 absorbtion etc.... There are some people that are resistant to change. I personally don't trust air integration but that is just me.

1_T_Submariner:
There are some people that are resistant to change.

Please note, this is not just a change, but a build on past technology. It's very similar to the math comment made just one or two posts ago. The math is the same, but nowadays people can't do simple math without a calculator. The math, the NDL limits, are the same (though there are a few ways of calculating it, algorithims and such), but some advocate never learning the basics, and always using a computer, or a calculator. Granted, the computer has benefits, it more accurately reflrects your N2 absorption and gives you more bottom time allowable, but students need to be taught the basics behind what their computer is doing. Computers are not infallable. Students with a table aren't either, but if they have a table they can dive, even if they have a computer, you can always go back to your table. If you don't know how to do long division and your calculator dies, you are screwed on that exam. The student that knows how to do long division without a calculator will still be ok. So it's not tha people are "resistant to change" so much as they advocate pouring the cement before you put together the roof.

You are still solving "table problems" on the OW test. SC Corporate doesn't have a say in PADI standards. The tests will be the same.

eRDP:RDP table::calculator:slide rule

While I agree that it is easier to teach eRDP, I love tables. They allow students to see qualitatively how NDL goes down with depth. If properly taught, the table RDP can be a great tool for having students understand basic gas management and to reinforce dive physiology

I have a far better demonstration for teaching Nitrogen as well as residual Nitorgen and it uses two 2 litre bottles. Understanding tables is nice, but they are SELDOM used after the class. I can count on one hand the tables I have seen (other than my students) on a boat.
JahJahWarrior:
My NAUI table has space on one side for me to work out a dive profile, which could help me incase I get narc'd and can't remember how long I planned to stay at depth, or if I get hurt, someone can easily look at it and tell approximately where I was, depth and time wise, even if I'm unconscious.
What a great reason to dive a computer! No guessing about depth, time and we can even download a dive profile. We don't have to worry about the victim remembering to begin the recording process and all of that.

As for being narced... a computer doesn't get narced. It's calculations and alarms are not subject to the vagaries of of depths. I trust the computer far more than I trust me below 80 ft.

Woooaahhh, for a minute their I thought maybe PADI was involved in saying students didn't need to learn the tables. That would be downright crazy.
Is Sports Chalet a big sporting goods store or a chain dive shop??? I never heard of them.

eh, doesn't anyone check the table to get an idea of much bottom time you have? just in case your computer does fail? i mean, computers do ga haywire....i mean, if you were at 35meters and your computer said you had a 83 minutes minutes left, how would you know whether or not that was completly out of wack if you haven't even looked at the tables? I'm all for computers, but i like to look at my tables (and have them with me when i dive!) before the dive, so i have an idea of how much time i have down below (plan the dive, dive the plan!!!) or is planning out of fasion too?

Very few people check the tables. A lot of divers, like me, use 2 computers.

The chances that you are impaired at 35 meters? %100!

The chances your computer is impaired at 35 meters? <%1

Of course you can plan your dive right off of your computer! I teach my students to do it for every dive. :D

Sports Chalet is a sporting goods store. Some locations have a SCUBA department.

WesTexDiver:
Is this the same agency that allows you to take the classes online, and just show up for pool sessions?

That would be SSI. PADI is planning to implement online knowledge development in 2007, but does not do that yet.

Back
Top Bottom