Sport Chalet Instruction...new rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior:
Guess you'd better change your release. Send the bill to print new releases's to Padi.

i think since we are the "worlds largest dive shop" that we could afford it. all of the packages are coming with the eRDP now and not the tables

I will fully admit I rarely use the tables and I dive 2 computers so I have backup. That being said I am glad I was taught to use them during OW, I can always fall back to them if necessary. I also used them just the other day to look at a hypothetical dive situation that you can't use a computer for, at least not mine. I've been looking at a Cozumel trip and I see everyone charges $10 extra per tank for Nitrox. Since my goal is to put in 3-4 dives a day and I'm trying to save as much money as possible I ran a bunch of different situations through my tables using EAD for EAN32 on only some of the dives. The goal was to see which would give me the least amount of nitrogen loading and see if I can get away with only doing some nitrox dives. Before running this through I expected to find that using nitrox on my deepest dive and then air on my shallower dives would be the best way to go, the tables told me differently. If I didn't know how to use my tables I wouldn't have been able to do this.

Mike Veitch:
Everyone learns the tables in OW, they then get out of OW and buy a computer..

What would be a better solution? How about integrating the use of computers into the OW class, you know, a real world scenario, and teaching people how to use them. In other words, simulate a computer going into deco, show the students how to read that and what to do when it happens.

This is where I agree with you. Where we differ is in order. I believe that tables should be taught first, and THEN computers. Yes, add it to the book, but don't boot out tables. Maybe in another few years when you can buy for the same price as a table, a simple computer, you can stop teaching tables entirely. Not quite yet.

However, one problem is that there are hundreds of computers out there and to teach a class, you'd have to focus on just one or two. If I know what a vyper shows exactly, but the class didn't cover the Mares M1 I just bought....eh, what was the point of the class? However, I do think a class could do a good job of showing several computers and how they work in general. The instructors could easily pass their computer around and have the students learn how to use it. Once you've used one, it will be easier to use others, even if it will require some more learning. That's what the owner's manual is there for. I would actually argue that anybody who has a computer and doesn't know how to use it....well, why incorporate that into OW cert? It's all in their manual. Sort oflike, I think kids should be taught how to read at home. If not totally, then the parents sould atleast try to teach them. That way, school could be used for the stuff that not all parents know very well (such as calc, trig, differential equations, etc). Same thing for OW class, let students learn their particular gear from their manual. Use class time to teach them how to be safe in the water with the gas they are breathing, the animals they are watching, etc. I will concede that I would have no problem with generalities about computers being taught in a class. My class talked about them a bit and I feltit prepared me decently well. I learned how to use my computer with my owner's manual.

Jorbar1551:
i think since we are the "worlds largest dive shop" that we could afford it. all of the packages are coming with the eRDP now and not the tables

Atleast they are learning how to plan a dive beforehand. Tell me, this eRDP, how much does it cost seperately? Is it waterproof at all? (certainly it probably can't be dived with, but can it get soaked?)

Eh...I like my tables. I love my computer. OW class taught me how to use tables, Suunto owner's manual taught me how to use my computer. That's the way it should be.

I think the eRDPs are about $20.00 or so. At least that's what I remember them being when I saw one earlier.

As for learning the ins and outs of diving a computer from a tiny manual... that's crazy talk. :D You're just learning the functions of your DC from that manual.

NetDoc:
As for learning the ins and outs of diving a computer from a tiny manual... that's crazy talk. :D You're just learning the functions of your DC from that manual.
I'll admit, I'm a manual freak. I always read them. I keep them around and read manuals for fun. I've read manuals of products I don't own. I've read my computer manual about 5 times and I pull out the computer occasionally and go through past dives and change the time (and then set it back) just to make sure I still remember what every button and menu does :)

oh, and Merry Christmas! I washed my mum's car and tried to put on new hubcaps for her, but I broke one of them and gave up at that. But hey, I did manage to wash her car, in the garage, at 1am without waking her up, and with my dad (who's a night owl and was reading the newspaper in the living room) noticing. What can I say, if it doesn't deal with hubcaps, I'm pretty darn good!

rakkis:
That would be SSI. PADI is planning to implement online knowledge development in 2007, but does not do that yet.

While SSI does promote a home study portion prior to the classroom, I am not aware of an online/computer based/distance learning program in development. Seeing how distance learning can be successful in other fields, however, I would not necessarily be averse to this.

editing for clarification

As a dive shop manager, I don't like any system that keeps prospective divers from coming into my storefront. That said, if a distance/online classroom can impart the necessary information I think it will continue to produce equivalently safe students for pool work and open water testing.

Is it Ok that I ditched my RDP for the Wheel?? Much easier to use and I can dive with the computer folks. Then again I have a cumputer backup also. I use my computer as an in-water reference, I use the Wheel to plan.

PADI has Software based Instruction. That is what I used. It isn't On-line but you still read and learn the same as a book. PADI also gives you the option of learning "The Wheel" in OWD.

tranqul:
Probably for the same reason we teach basic math in schools. It's better to understand what the computer is doing so you have some idea if it's right. If you don't know the how the computers are approximating and what the number should be around, then you don't know if something goes wrong.

I don't know about you, but I would rathier have a backup to the computer in the unlikely event that it should malfunchtion.

I agree. I also dive with a backup computer (except for the day I did'nt feel like going back to my bunk for my wrist unit and my primary actually failed :( )

A firm grounding in tables, however, gives divers a feel for why the computer is doing what it is and perhaps make more sound judgements in how they dive.

Jorbar1551:
I just got a memo from sport chalet corporate. looks like the instructors are going to stop teaching the dive tables now. all students will learn to dive using a computer and the rdp.

i think its stupid, and so does almost everyone that works at my sport chalet including the instructors...what do you think. one of our dm's said that no one dives without a computer now so what is the point of teaching someone a lost art.

I think it's crap too. Nobody gets a c-card with my name on it without knowing how to use tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom