Sport Chalet and Nitrox ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
I think you misunderstood my comment, and are quoting me out of context. I was referring to the manager's assertion that OSHA regs require a chamber onsite:

...which is utterly absurd.

OSHA regs do in fact require a chamber on site (or within 5 minutes) where instruction occurs [edit - by a shop's employee] that uses nitrox (not just where nitrox is sold, may also be recreationally led dives,etc,. not up on the scope) if those guidelines are followed. I haven't looked closely at this for a couple years, but that was OSHA's rule. There was a shop called Dixie Divers that got a permanent exemption from the OSHA rule (google whack Dixie Diver exemption and you cna read all about it). The rules that [whoops - Ann Marie] cites are the relatively recent expansion of the Dixie Diver exemption to all instructors if those rules are followed.

It's still absurd.

edit - here's the variance for your bathtub reading http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=13995

CompuDude,

Sorry if you felt that I took anything out of context. If you felt that way, I apologize, it certainly wasn't meant that way. And hopefully you didn't mean your reply to be taken in any mean spirited way.:D When I did quote you, I just meant it in regards that Sport Chalet will NOT allow their leadership to dive EAN while working.

With several hundred professionals on their list, keeping ALL of those logs is a big deal.

Have you read "Alternative Conditions Under 1910.401(a)(3) for Recreational Diving Instructors and Diving Guides (Mandatory) - 1910 Subpart T App C"? I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble to meet ALL of these requirements so that they can dive enriched air while teaching. I suggest you follow the link that was posted and read the conditions yourself then you wouldn't wonder if I made a true representation or not....you would actually be speaking with the knowledge of what those conditions are and wouldn't have to rely on moi.

krowsea:
I think the chamber, as you paraphrased from the dive shop manager, is not the hyperbaric one most divers would assume when we hear that word. If memory serves, to fill nitrox either the pumping / mixing station or the filling tanks need to be enclosed in an explosion proof structure, maybe thats the 'chamber' he mentioned.

I don't have any facts on this, just conversations I've heard over the years concerning a San Diego shop that had some type of explosion while filling nitrox, and the requirement to rebuild their station included some type of structure to contain damage. Of course, that may simply be because they may have screwed up the first time.

Once again, rumours and propaganda only here, no solid facts.

John A.

JOHN!!! HI! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN; I'VE MISSED YOU!:blinking:

Hollywoodivers:
If you need nitrox fills come and see us. We have been teaching nirox for ten years and filling four 4 years. No need to be o2 clean either. It's for 40 percent or less. Let's go Nitrox diving !

Too bad you're not closer.....

Ann Marie:
JOHN!!! HI! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN; I'VE MISSED YOU!:blinking:

Why, I've been a busy little boy actually, but now, I'm back in the fold, as it were. Hoping to see you in person soon. Are you going to the Scuba Show? I'll be there Sunday. :D

John A.

:( Saturday is my day to go! We'll catch up soon!

i know its a dead thread...but i work at sport chalet. PADI doesnt even require the dives now. its just a class session.

i wish we sold nitrox. i get free airfills, but i've got two nitrox tanks at home that are itching to get used. its hard to say no to free air.

I used to work at a Sport CHalet, too, but was I left before they began the Nitrox classes.

Do they still have that CO2 paintball fill station? Whenever Sport Chalet is talked about as possibly getting started in filling nitrox, I think back to what little (actually, zero) training I got on filling the CO2 paintball tanks, which they installed in the scuba department, believing that the scuba folks would be able to handle those fills, despite it being a completely different system. Since they never bothered to train me on that, yet saw it necessary to take a whole day's worth of lessons on filling a scuba cylinder, I'd refuse to fill CO2 until I was adequately trained.
Not that I could ever get into trouble for refusal and refusing to risk my personal safety, but it was kinda funny to see managers scramble to find somebody who knew how to do it, but nobody on the store really knew how.
I could imagine something similar happening with Nitrox- I am sure that they would definitely train the dive department how to do it, but when the designated dive employee goes on break or isn't scheduled (as happens all the damn time at a certain West LA location), I have to get a manager to do it, or they bring over somebody in the bike-shop who was half-trained. Not the most reassuring service.
Don't get me wrong- I don't have a problem with Sport Chalet, and I think they're overall decent and fine, and I rarely ever have problems with the dive employees.

Another open question- that rule about needing a chamber close by or within 5 minutes... What is the reasoning for that? Why do they deem it important to have one so close by?

I just started working as a DM for Sport Chalet. We had a leadership meeting last night with the Scuba Operations manager. Someone asked him about this. At this point, it sounds like SC is most concerned about the safety and legal issues of working with a hot gas. Not so much with the scuba department, as shoupart points out, but more so with all the other employees and customers who become "at risk" (as defined by law) when working with high oxygen content. The requirement of a chamber was not brought up.

SC wants to do this (nitrox has become one of their most popular PADI specialties), but it probably won't be happening any time in 2007. If it does happen after that, it will probably be in select stores where they can properly regulate the safety environment. Also, the OM said that it would most likely be a membrane system, with 32 and 36.

Hey Aphelion,
Will you keep us posted on how you like DM'ing with Sport Chalet? When I worked there, I was considering the DM program so I could get on the 99 list and stay current, but didn't have the time or money to devote to attaining it before I left the store.
One of these days, I'm sure I'll go back there to take some more training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom