Sport Chalet and Nitrox ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so if they don't want pure O2 on the premises what's the excuse to not go with pre-blend.

clarktenk:
Ok so if they don't want pure O2 on the premises what's the excuse to not go with pre-blend.

My guess is (1) logistics of keeping that many stores filled (2) premix means specific mixes -- only the 'standard' 32% and 36%??, (3) extra paperwork and hassle to keep accurate logs for liability reasons.....as I said, just a guess.

yes they are offering ean classes. they will not be offering ean fills at any store, anytime soon. ean fills will be done on sport chalet chartered boats offering ean.

clarktenk:

My understanding is that OSHA treats EAN as a hazardous substance. As a result, for Sport Chalet to be able to fill, *all* of their employees would need to be trained in the safe handling of the substance. I may be wrong on the details, but I'm pretty sure it's an OSHA/liability thing they don't want to deal with.

I'm actually enrolled in a class starting next week, so I'll have to ask for better clarification.

By the way, I understand that one of our local boats is installing an EAN system as a result of this, which is really exciting. I'll have to post the name when I get it (it eludes me at the moment).

sk8rpj:
People need to learn that sport chalet has no clue what they are doing when it comes to scuba. Your LDS is always the best bet.

That statement is rather off base, at least in my experience. I have trained extensively through their Huntington Beach location and have found everyone to be professional and knowledgeable. The new kid might short some fills, but most of the dive shop employees are divers with significant experience, and the instructors have all been excellent. The shop manager and another employee are PADI assistant instructors, one of the employees is a NAUI divemaster, and another one is a Rescue-level diver. The course director is an ex-marine and current police officer with decades of experience, and many of the other instructors have thousands of dives to their credit. That's a heck of a lot of "clue what they're doing" in my book. Maybe the corporation itself is clueless, but I'd like to give credit where credit is due.

On the other hand, I have tried three LDSes in my area. The only one that I would ever consider going back to is Laguna Sea Sports. Nice people and good services/products. The other two were staffed by people without even a basic understanding of customer service.

aphelion:
By the way, I understand that one of our local boats is installing an EAN system as a result of this, which is really exciting. I'll have to post the name when I get it (it eludes me at the moment).

The Magician started supplying nitrox fills June 1.

Hooray for Jerry and the Magician for adding this service!

Claudette

I can't see how other LDS' wouldn't be thrilled that Sport Chalet is teaching nitrox and not filling. Take someone from OW to Nitrox and then tell them sorry we can't help you with what we just trained you. It's like teaching someone to use a hammer then telling them you don't sell nails. Now off you go to another LDS. How long do you support a LDS that doesn't meet your needs? Another huge plus might be an end to the SoCal phobia to nitrox by teaching the masses its benefits.

This is another step toward making nitrox (at least EAN-32) the default gas for recreational diving in SoCal (110 ft). For boat diving it means shorter surface intervals and potentially another dive (4 tanks in stead of 3, etc.) or other trade offs. The infrequent diver will find he needs to "put another dollar in" for nitrox training, which will make him think about DCS, ox tox, gas properties, and more dive boats add membrane systems. All for the better.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom