Sport Chalet and Nitrox ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the SC shops actually had Nitrox for a time (I can't recall which shop, it may have been Marina Del Rey?), according to the guy I talked to who said he was the driving force at the time, but at some point shortly thereafter management got cold feet and made them take it out. I hope they revisit their decision soon, because SC is one of the best places locally for fills. Deep pockets = good compressor. :) The quality of the people running it can vary, but fortunately most of the folks at the one closest to me are very good, and know how to properly fill an HP tank. :)

CompuDude:
One of the SC shops actually had Nitrox for a time (I can't recall which shop, it may have been Marina Del Rey?), according to the guy I talked to who said he was the driving force at the time, but at some point shortly thereafter management got cold feet and made them take it out. I hope they revisit their decision soon, because SC is one of the best places locally for fills. Deep pockets = good compressor. :) The quality of the people running it can vary, but fortunately most of the folks at the one closest to me are very good, and know how to properly fill an HP tank. :)

You are correct. SC used to fill nitrox at some of their stores. Someone asked about this as well. The OM was unsure as to the original reason why they stopped filling (since it was before his time there), but it sounds like there is a company legend of an accident that prompted upper management to avoid the liability involved. Again, that's legend, so take it as such.

shoupart:
Hey Aphelion,
Will you keep us posted on how you like DM'ing with Sport Chalet? When I worked there, I was considering the DM program so I could get on the 99 list and stay current, but didn't have the time or money to devote to attaining it before I left the store.
One of these days, I'm sure I'll go back there to take some more training.

So far it's been great, although I don't really have much reference. The job itself, as anyone in leadership will attest, is by its nature challenging, but they work hard at my shop to make sure everyone is safe, well trained, and having a good time.

PM me any time and I'll be happy to give you more info.

shoupart:
Another open question- that rule about needing a chamber close by or within 5 minutes... What is the reasoning for that? Why do they deem it important to have one so close by?

This is the problem when government gets involved with things it can regulate but has little clue about. This "requirement" is a holdover from the period when Nitrox moved from the strictly military and/or commercial world into the recreational dive world. When mixed gas diving when restricted primarily to commercial diving OSHA saw fit to make a whole bunch of beauracratic regulations, one of which was that if diving mixed gases were being used (nitrox included) that a chamber needed to be onsite. Well that makes sense when you are on an oil rig 100's of miles off shore, but is really inapplicable while diving 32% on a 60' reef in Cayman. However, in a nod to political correctness and government intervention no one has seen fit to apply logic and common sense to the idea that while it be a good idea to require a chamber on a commercial operation off-shore it might not be the same such good idea applied to the recreational world.

Dixies Divers, a chain of scuba stores located in Florida, where successful at challenging this requirement and were able to get a variance request. The strict reading of the variance means that it only applies to the applicant, ie; Dixie Divers but common sense should mean it applies to all recreational shops. However, given the litigious nature of our society I'm not surprised that some shops are still leary. I'm no fan of Sport Chalet, but I fail to see how pumping Nitrox stands at odds with the requirement we are discussing. One involves the in-water use of Nitrox, whereas the other is about the potential use of a membrane system in the shop to pump nitrox. I think hiding behind that kind of "liabilty" claim is disingenuous at best. If they don't want to train their employees or don't see an upside in the investment in technology those are perfectly legitimate business issues, but to hide behind a BS claim of "liability" is a smokescreen.

Hope that helps

MHK:
I think hiding behind that kind of "liabilty" claim is disingenuous at best. If they don't want to train their employees or don't see an upside in the investment in technology those are perfectly legitimate business issues, but to hide behind a BS claim of "liability" is a smokescreen.

Hope that helps

My understanding is that they do see an upside to filling enriched air, but that the costs of implementing a safe and compliant program have not made it a worthwhile business venture at this point. "Liability" is bad word choice, but a company that large has to think constantly of a)how is the government going to be a pain in my rear, and b) how might employees or customers sue us? Liability really does become an overriding business factor. It's the same thing with my day job too, unfortunately. To that end, I don't see it as a smokescreen, since it's simply shorthand for "can we still make a profit and benefit our customers while at the same time ensuring regulatory compliance and safety of everyone involved?"

OKay, that answers it.
I can understand some holdover law requiring a chamber to be around for divers using gases beside air in commercial situations or whatever. But yeah, I definitely don't see why a STORE would need a chamber on hand when they are merely pumping the gas and nobody is actually diving anywhere near it. Craziness!

There are a couple of local shops that have pools AND supply Nitrox, so either the variances are pretty easy to get, or they're pretty easy to ignore (tho a bigger chain wouldn't be as comfortable with that).

O2 has the nasty habit of blowing up if dealt with improperly, so I can understand some leeriness on the part of management, esp. considering how little training most employees get for pumping air... Nitrox definitely adds hassle. Membrane systems perhaps combined with banking would certainly go a long way towards lessening the pure O2 danger, though.

Let's hope they see things realistically as they reconsider their stance!

MHK:
Dixies Divers, a chain of scuba stores located in Florida, where successful at challenging this requirement and were able to get a variance request.

Mike,
It's my understanding that CAL-OSHA does not recognize the OSHA variance. That's what Sport Chalet is waiting for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom