Spool Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradJ

Reaction score
Where is the correct place to stow/mount a spool during open water diving.
I've been told it should go in a thigh pocket if available or clipped to the back/butt ring if not.
On the ring it seems to just hang out there.

The spool should be kept in a pocket cause its mostly use shoot bags a reel can be clipped of the butt d-ring

Isn't the lift bag stowed attached to the backplate though? If one isn't carrying a reel, why not have the spool and bag in the same general location?

Rachel

biscuit7:
Isn't the lift bag stowed attached to the backplate though? If one isn't carrying a reel, why not have the spool and bag in the same general location?

Rachel

I have the bag in a pocket attached to the spool

In open water where there is an increased chance of entanglement the spool should go in the pocket. If you dont have a pocket the butt d-ring is the next best place. Lift bags can be stowed in the pocket but that can create problems with getting to other things in the pocket in good time. The best place for a lift bag is folded up and placed between the diver and the back plate. With a little practice the spool can be removed attached to the bag and shot in around one minet.

The spool and bag do not need to be stored togther, put them in the right spot and practice the attachment and shoting, in three or four tries you will get better and therfore get faster at the drill.

the spools you use most go in your right pocket, and your safety spools or spools you dont plan on using go in your left pocket. I put my liftbag in my storage plate on my backplate. Hope ths helps

eric

Eric__U:
the spools you use most go in your right pocket, and your safety spools or spools you dont plan on using go in your left pocket. I put my liftbag in my storage plate on my backplate. Hope ths helps

eric
I thought the idea was if you dont need it dont take it ?

Spools you dont plan on using , should they be there at all ?

Cheers
Hoppy

Don't clip spools off to the read D-ring - they have a habit of unclipping themselves and making a huge mess - mega entanglement risk. A pocket is the absolute best place to keep it, even if you've got your bag stowed on the backplate. When I dive without pockets and carry a spool, I put it on the left waist D-ring, but I only have an SPG clipped off there so there's plenty of room.

Hoppy:

Cheers
Hoppy

I always dive with a spool it dosent take any room and you never know if your gonna need it having some line s usefull for lots of stuff

Hoppy:

Cheers
Hoppy
I never plan on useing my reserve gas but both my buddy and me are happy to have it along :)

Its one thing to be bringing "stuff" along that has no place on a dive or is overly redundent. Its another to have the proper gear even if there is little chance of using it. I hope you see the diffrence as this is the point that Eric was making.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom