Spool Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy:
I thought the idea was if you dont need it dont take it ?

Spools you dont plan on using , should they be there at all ?

Cheers
Hoppy

You should never *plan* on using a safety reel, but I always *have* one nonetheless. Same thing with a lift bag. In O/W rec diving I always *have* one, but I seldom plan to use it.

large_diver:
One of my DIRF instructors seem to get immense pleasure out of causing spools clipped to the rear D-ring to unravel underwater.....

Ah those crazy DIR-F instructors with their tricks :). After our DIR-F class by buddy and I have become accustom to trying to steal items from each other’s pockets during deco hangs.

hum what if your wet suit dont have a pocket can one be added to it easy.
What is this yellow line I have been seeing on reels any one now.

Adding pockets to a wet suit is the same as a dry suit just aquaseal them on. The yellow line might be masons line.

Yes and it should stay right in front of you unwinding ..With thick drygloves i dont really hold on to the spool that tight

BradJ:
Where is the correct place to stow/mount a spool during open water diving.
I've been told it should go in a thigh pocket if available or clipped to the back/butt ring if not.
On the ring it seems to just hang out there.

If you have pockets on your B/C, then your left pocket is a good place to stow your 50 ft spool, attached to the safety sausage. You will most likely be using this for your first deep safety stop at 1/2 your MOD, probably around 50 ft during a drift dive. Other than that, it is applicable for any safety stop, or for signalling the boat.

I keep my spare mask in my right B/C pocket.

You could keep the spool and safety sausage clipped together and attached to a D ring as well, especially if your B/C or harness has no pockets.

Reels normally get clipped to hip or butt D rings. Spools normally go into pockets, however.

Scubaroo:
Don't clip spools off to the read D-ring - they have a habit of unclipping themselves and making a huge mess - mega entanglement risk. A pocket is the absolute best place to keep it, even if you've got your bag stowed on the backplate. When I dive without pockets and carry a spool, I put it on the left waist D-ring, but I only have an SPG clipped off there so there's plenty of room.

I can vouch for that! I had dropped the spool (it got unclipped on it own) on two occasions. very annoying at best, entanglements hazard at worst.

IndigoBlue:
If you have pockets on your B/C, then your left pocket is a good place to stow your 50 ft spool, attached to the safety sausage. You will most likely be using this for your first deep safety stop at 1/2 your MOD, probably around 50 ft during a drift dive. Other than that, it is applicable for any safety stop, or for signalling the boat.

I keep my spare mask in my right B/C pocket.

You could keep the spool and safety sausage clipped together and attached to a D ring as well, especially if your B/C or harness has no pockets.

Reels normally get clipped to hip or butt D rings. Spools normally go into pockets, however.

What sort of DIR B/C are you using that has pockets on the right and left side ?? Have you mounted pockets to your wing ???

Personally I have not seen a DIR B/P and Wing setup with pockets on the Wing or on the harness.

Spools should be stored in thigh pockets. Thigh pockets with velcro openings properly attached to your drysuit or to your wetsuit. If you are not wearing a wetsuit or drysuit then I would use pocket shorts like the ones sold by FifthD.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom