split vs non

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to keep in mind when choosing a fin....the more rigid (solid) the fin blade, the more you need to build the muscles that are used.

It's worth a trip to the local pool to do laps with your fins. Remember to keep your legs extended and as straight as possible...

Chris

scubatoys:
I've heard so many people talk about splits and currents, that I wrote a whole little thing on it: http://scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp

We go to Cozumel all the time, and it's all current drift diving, and I have no problem with or against the current... much easier than any other fin I've tried. Give me some Apollo bio fins, or the Tusa splits if I need prettier colors.
That's a good writeup and I agree with the "physics of relativity", but it misses one important human factors issue. When a diver is trying to fin against a current and trys to get more speed by kicking hard with wider strokes rather than maintaining the discipline to do small flutters very rapidly, then the splits won't work well.

I'm convinced that this is what's behind the dramatically different opinions people have about split fins in currents.

If you are the lazy type, like it seems from your post, you'd want maximum efficiency from a single kick right, in that case, get the jets.

I have a pair of each , and well different conditions take different gear.

Charlie99:
That's a good writeup and I agree with the "physics of relativity", but it misses one important human factors issue. When a diver is trying to fin against a current and trys to get more speed by kicking hard with wider strokes rather than maintaining the discipline to do small flutters very rapidly, then the splits won't work well.

I'm convinced that this is what's behind the dramatically different opinions people have about split fins in currents.

Perhaps... that seems valid - that the people who say they don't work in a current haven't learned to kick them properly... but really, it's easier to do a small faster kick than a large one, so learning to do this is a pretty rapid procedure... Just kick like you are swimming. Forget all that "Do large straight kicks from the hip.." stuff. Just kick like you're swimming and you'll go faster with less effort.

I've only found one fin that makes me go faster... This one:

basker5.jpg

rawls:
Hi everyone. this question has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm just to lazy to search:11doh: I am getting ready to purchase a new pair of fins. I have had the same ones since 1994...I have heard some people I have asked swear on split fins and others say they "suck". I am leaning toward a pair of Thrusters as opposed to split. I know there are those of you who like split and those who don't. I'm just trying to get some input on different arguements for and against...Thanks

It all depends on what kind of diving you do. I started with splits and now dive full fins exclusively. But I also do the modified frog kick almost exclusively.

Kim...Just asking for some information pal. The day I posted this question I just finished working four 15 hour days in a row. I think I had a right to feel a bit "lazy". 99% of the time I get really good input from those on the board. Unfortunately, you aren't one of them...but thanks for sharing anyway...I also hope I have explained my situation to all my other friends. For my part...I should have explained why I was being lazy...My apologies...

rawls:
Kim...Just asking for some information pal. The day I posted this question I just finished working four 15 hour days in a row. I think I had a right to feel a bit "lazy". 99% of the time I get really good input from those on the board. Unfortunately, you aren't one of them...but thanks for sharing anyway...I also hope I have explained my situation to all my other friends. For my part...I should have explained why I was being lazy...My apologies...
We all get tired. Maybe that's not the best time to make certain kinds of jokes (if that's how you meant it). It seemed to me that you were asking others to do something for you that you could have easily done yourself, but were (in your own words) 'too lazy' to do. As everyone (including me) gives of their own time freely and for nothing on this board answering questions to help others, for me it came across rather badly. Sorry....maybe I was tired too.

Forget all that "Do large straight kicks from the hip.." stuff.

Larry...agree 100%. Everybody has different physiology, as well as opinions. Personally, I can't do it because of knee and lower back issues. My short, modified stroke tends to get me through the water as quickly as I want/need to go. And as fast, if not faster than my buddies with other types of fins. Turning doesn't seem to be an issue either. I love my twin-jets and I use them most of the time. They suit my swimming style great. However, the standard jets do work best for caves and wrecks and help minimize silting with the proper kick technique. Split-fins don't scull/frog worth a damn.

To everyone who read my question and my comment "I'm too lazy..." I wanted to apologize for the obvious lack of thought in my wording. Once again...I had worked very long hours over the past few days and was very tired. I should have made myself clearer and I want to apologize to all of you for my mistake....as well as to say thanks for the information...Bobby

Back
Top Bottom