split vs non

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glad you got out of here safely before someone speared you or even worse...lazy isn't a good word to use, especially in this circle. no problem here bud...

Tiburon...I'm learning...sometimes the hard way but learning nevertheless...no more "lazy" comments...:)Thanks...

I went looking for what was the best split fin review I ever read but I can't find it online any more. I think Dell Motes wrote it.

The big issue with split is maneuverability...being able to stop or turn on a dime or being able to move back or several feet forward with a singlw flip of your fins.

Many divers never learn to use those techniques and are only taught to flutter kick so they don't miss being able to do it. I've heard divers claim they can use those techniques with split fins but I've never seen it. Well, you can go through the motions but you wiggle more than you move and look like a lame duck trying. I've tried it and tried to teach students using split fins and it just doesn't work. I evenyually just stopped letting students use them in my classes.

You should look through some of the older threads. there's been a lot of detail information. Members have done tests and even posted video. UP did some experiments with split fins that I sent him and another member (I don't remember who) spent some time practicing his back kick in splits and posted some video.

Dude, I found a neat poll on page 100 of Fins, Masks and Snorkels. It is the third thread down. Might help you out some. Kevin K PS- Some people are so sensitive!!!

MikeFerrara:
I went looking for what was the best split fin review I ever read but I can't find it online any more. I think Dell Motes wrote it.

The big issue with split is maneuverability...being able to stop or turn on a dime or being able to move back or several feet forward with a singlw flip of your fins.

Many divers never learn to use those techniques and are only taught to flutter kick so they don't miss being able to do it. I've heard divers claim they can use those techniques with split fins but I've never seen it. Well, you can go through the motions but you wiggle more than you move and look like a lame duck trying. I've tried it and tried to teach students using split fins and it just doesn't work. I evenyually just stopped letting students use them in my classes.

You should look through some of the older threads. there's been a lot of detail information. Members have done tests and even posted video. UP did some experiments with split fins that I sent him and another member (I don't remember who) spent some time practicing his back kick in splits and posted some video.

Mike...That was some really good information. They were some really good things to consider. I appreciate it!

Kevin K:
Dude, I found a neat poll on page 100 of Fins, Masks and Snorkels. It is the third thread down. Might help you out some. Kevin K PS- Some people are so sensitive!!!

Kevin...appreciate the info...I will definitely check it out...and the last line...Thanks a bunch:wink:

Non split!

Picked up a pair of Oceanic Vortec V12's the other day for a good price at a lds. Tried them out before I bought them and was definatly impressed with them, though the dive mostly involved me sitting at the bottom collecting seagrass. Can't wait to use them on a real dive.

tiburon72157
Split-fins don't scull/frog worth a damn.

I disagree. I use the frog almost exclusively. I easily keep up with everyone I dive with. I do use the very stiff SP Twin Speed and this does make a difference. Maybe your splits are too soft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom