Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by DivingDoc
I think the video at:
http://www.apollosportsusa.com/videos/apollo3.mov
is fairly convincing that splitfins cause LESS silt-up than paddles.

Dear Doc,
I tried everywhich way I could to download and watch the advertisement but could not get it to work....

While I don't doubt that with the superior thrust they possess paddle fins *could* stir up more silt than split fins....

that is not my point....

My paddle fins don't stir up ANY silt even when I am swimming within inches of a silty bottom....

Could I do that with split fins???

I only know one split fin user who does an acceptable job if she stays way up off of the bottom....

She thinks that she doesn't kick up the dust at all.... but she does.... and the split fins don't provide enough direction control for her to helicopter around and look behind.... (much less to continue swimming in reverse.)

Of course this is just all in the context of my limited experience...
And I haven't gotten to see the video yet...
But I'll keep trying...
Thanks! :D

For what its worth I have the Bio fins and love them. Even though they are "heavy" in water you do not realize they are on your feet. I have compared them with the Tiger. While the Tiger is better than most paddle fins I didn't like it as much as the Bio which may be because of my experience bias. Both fins are easy on the legs and knees. I expect the scuba pros will suit you fine as long as you remember the kick with a split is different from a paddle fin.

Right on about the excellent Biofins. Too bad Doc got too large uva' size. I have been warning about the size problem with most modern fins but got lost in the noise. I ordered my Bios in summer of 1999 directly from the USA rep. She took my data and my money and recommended a size medium which I thought sounded too small. They were just right. Lucky I went to the source. The Bios are made of that wonderful aromatic ol' time gum rubber, straight from the tree. When you open the box it's shades of Lloyd Bridges.

Check out the DiveRite split fin review on their page.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Dear Doc,
I tried everywhich way I could to download and watch the advertisement but could not get it to work....

You need to either download Real One player (I think it's at www.real.com) or quicktime to see the movies.

Then go to:

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/

and follow the link: "see the Apollo BioFin." Go down to the bottom of that page and click on the pictures, then select whatever version (realone or quick time) you want to see of video 3.

My paddle fins don't stir up ANY silt even when I am swimming within inches of a silty bottom....

Could I do that with split fins???
I don't think it's possible to turn around fast enough to really see how much silt you are kicking up. Watch the video.

:wink:

OK...
I took the time to download QT....
Then I took the time to download the commercial....

What I didn't see was two divers diving over the same bottom together, one with splits and one with paddles....

What I did see was:

a split fin diver over sand bottom doing a modified flutter with the feet up off the bottom....

And in another segment

a paddle fin diver over a silt bottom doing a vigorous flutter with fins actually contacting the bottom....

But I understand that is the nature of commercials....

Forget the commercials...
Can you swim over a silt bottom with your splits and not kick up a storm???? I would love to see it!

I recently earned my OW certification, so my depth of experience on fins is limited, but I did try several different fins prior to purchasing my own set and the Apollo Bio Fin was superior in my opinion.

Split fins in general seemed easier to use and offered more control than paddle fins. Some of my old school buddies who got me started on diving swore they would never switch to "those gimicky fins", but when they tried my Bios they never looked back.

Seems to me it's just a matter of personal choice and comfort.

And as far as stirring up the bottom goes... diver etiquette seems to be the prevailing factor that determines how much silt you'll swim through.

Again, I'm new to SCUBA, but this makes sense to me.

Dive safe.

Alright, Pug, you made me do it. I dug out my Biofin, full instructional video. I played it on a 36" TV screen, ran it, stopped frames, reran it, the works. I examined the bottom, the flora, the detritus, the background coral, the lighting, the perceived depth, the divers distance from the bottom, and speed. In my opinion, the two scenes, one depicting a splitfin diver, and the other a paddle diver, were shot in the same area but not the exact same spot. In both cases, the divers swam at the same height over bottom. In each case the bottom was soft and had various debris including small, bottom drifting clusters of vegetation or similar.

The biofin diver did not even cause the small debris to move, much less the bottom sediment. The paddle diver just blew everything around, a puff of sand and debris with each stroke.

If they're faking this, I can't find it.

Originally posted by devjr
Alright, Pug, you made me do it. I dug out my Biofin, full instructional video.
Wonder which took longer...
Your archeological dig or my download:D

Well I don't know about the video (I really think it is a fake but I'm not going to tell you that.)

But I do know what I just saw two hours ago....
My non-DIR buddy with the split fins was leaving a blown up sand & shell bottom with every fin stroke....

I actually prefer that she wear the split fins as it is very easy to find her..... not easy to see her mind you... just easy to find her.

Of course your dear old Uncle Pug glides along inches from the bottom with his Turtles without a whisper of silt stirred up and is very hard to find but easy to see when you do.
:wink:

Leaving the video on the shelf for later generations to unearth and wonder about....

Do you blow out the bottom when you are using your split fins?

Shoot I might have to go out and buy another pair of the things just to see if it can even be done.... siltlessly that is.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Do you blow out the bottom when you are using your split fins?

Shoot I might have to go out and buy another pair of the things just to see if it can even be done.... siltlessly that is.

I just want to add this

I on one of last years dives decided that in some situations silt trails can be helpful..though there is a murky line between a blown out bottom and a silt trail..:eek: and with all things moderation is the key and each situation has to be considered..

I will state that in a very general sense, roto-tilling is not good

All spilt fins work by design by forcing water downward

Back
Top Bottom