Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by KaylinQ
I've tried the Volvo and the Dacor Tiger.... I like the Volvo better...just a thought. :eek:ut:

I used to have a Volvo, but it broke down all the time, and it was really expensive to fix... also it was ugly and got horrible gas mileage!

Sorry, the typo just made me laugh :D

Chris

I've never seen a split fin in use that didn't blow the bottom out...
Probably just my limited experience...
But we took a rototiller out with us again this past weekend...
And sure enough the splits do a better job at trenching.

Now maybe it just the divers I have run into that are using the splits....
But then again maybe it is the splits themselves....
And yes I know that paddles can blow out the bottom too....

One the subject, has anyone used the Oceanic V12's? They got a top rating in Rodels and even though they are a bit expensive I was thinking about getting a pair to see if they could help out my bottom time.

Also, check out http://www.mantaind.com/ for the spring fin strap.

Ty

Ok, I made my "ultimate set" of spring straps in about an hour today. Ordered bulk 1/2 ss spring and went to Lowes for 1/2" x 13 tpi x 1 1/2" ss bolts. I drilled a hole (with my drill press) into the very center of the side of the head of the bolt. I got my whizzer out (dremel on steroids) with the cut off blade and cut off both "points" away from the hole. Now the head is a rectangle with a hole drilled though length wise. Here is the cool part... the spring threads on to the bolt!!! No trying to bend spring steel. I used 1/8" ss wire to hold the bolt on to where my fins attach. No I can start large, and work my way smaller till I get it just right!!!

Originally posted by KaylinQ
I've tried the Volvo and the Dacor Tiger.... I like the Volvo better...just a thought. :eek:ut:

I think you mean the "Volo"? You didn't put cars on your feet, did you??

In any case, I am not sure I am understanding you. Did you compare the Mares Volo to the Dacor Tiger? They are essentially the same -- Dacor being the budget version of Mares.

Or did you compare the Volo/Dacor with ScubaPro TwinJet splitfins?

Tried the Volo (Mares), Tiger (Dacor), Twin Jets (ScubaPro).
Being of short stature I found the Volo's easier to use.
Me I'm not to picky about buckles or straps...

And no Volvo's! I know! Typo....rofl. It was late at night and I was sleepy...rofl. Though I do like Volvo's too.... *giigle*

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom