Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey --

Anyone out there directly compared the Mares Volo fins to the ScubaPro Twin Jet splits or the Atomic splitfins or the TUSA Zooms?

Before going down to Cozumel in January, we had ordered some Apollo BioFins. They came a day before we were to go and were way too big for both of us. Also they were VERY heavy. Never have felt such heavy fins.

We sent them back and I got some ScubaPro twin jetfins, which came out about equal to the top-rated Apollo splitfins in Rodales. I got the fluorescent yellow ones, which were really visible in the water. I can pick myself out easily in the underwater video.

They work just fine. I did not have any problem switching direction or using any kick I wanted. We did drift diving and the last day were in a pretty swift current. We drifted with the current, but a couple of times, I had to swim across the current or even against it and was quite able to do that, even though I am a middle aged recently reformed couch potato.

The buckles ARE a pain. I really miss the swivles on my old Cressi Frogs that I gave to my husband. I don't know why they designed them that way.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has tried both the spitfins (preferably ScubaPro twinjets) and the Mares Volo (or similar Dacor). How did they compare? I don't see where Rodales has directly compared the two.

While I can not offer you a comparison of the "other fins" I found my Twin Jets were a LOT easier to put on or take off when I converted them to the spring style straps as used by DIR. Installation was easy enough, and I really really like them, although they can be a tad tight with the wrong booties. I have ordered some longer springs and will be experimenting soon.

Originally posted by NetDoc
While I can not offer you a comparison of the "other fins" I found my Twin Jets were a LOT easier to put on or take off when I converted them to the spring style straps as used by DIR. Installation was easy enough, and I really really like them, although they can be a tad tight with the wrong booties. I have ordered some longer springs and will be experimenting soon.

So where did you get those spring-style straps? Can they be installed by the mechanically challenged?:jester:

Originally posted by DivingDoc

I don't see where Rodales has directly compared the two.

DivingDoc

Rodales did do a fins rating a few months ago. Their conclusion was that the splits were better than any of the paddles. I have the black version of the Twin Jets and I love them.:boom:

Originally posted by luvdiving

DivingDoc

Rodales did do a fins rating a few months ago. Their conclusion was that the splits were better than any of the paddles. I have the black version of the Twin Jets and I love them.:boom:

Rodales did a review of propeller fins, dated 7/01 and a review of paddle fins dated 7/01, which included the Mares Volo and the Dacor Tigers. The two groups were not directly tested against each other. In the splitfin review, they state:

The propeller fins tested for this article performed, on average, 27 percent more efficiently than the best paddle fin.

The performance of the best propeller fin we've ever tested is 142 percent more efficient than the worst paddle fin.

The performance of the best paddle fin we've ever tested is 64 percent more efficient that the worst paddle fin.

There was also an article, dated Sept, '01, entitled "splitfin smackdown," which discussed the differences between splitfins and paddle fins -- pros and cons and various objections people have to them.

Some people think that the design of the Mares Volo and Dacor Tiger puts them in a different class than other paddle fins. And since Rodales put the paddle fins and splitfins in different test groups, I don't see where they were directly compared.

Cave divers tend to prefer paddles -- see the article dissing splitfins on the DiveRite site.

I love my ScubaPro twin jets, except for the buckles, which I wish had swivels on them. Haven't really compared their speed or efficiency. I use alot less air than my hubby who uses Cressi Frogs, but then, he's a male and males use more air than females. Can't be sure how much of the difference was the efficiency of the fins vs. the male/female difference and the fact that I am generally a better swimmer than he is and I feel more comfortable in the water.

Just always want to know that what I have is the best.

While I've tried both, I'm not sure that I can give you a very good opinion. When starting out diving, I originally purchased the Twin Jets because our LDS said that they would be easier on my knees than the other fins they had in stock (was getting over a slight knee injury at the time). I used them for my confined water dives and liked everything about them except that for whatever reason, my foot kept pushing too far forward and crammed my toes into the toe opening in the fin. After two days, the effect was quite noticeable!

The next set of fins they suggested was the Volo. I've been diving with them ever since. They fit my feet great, and I like the buckle system better than that on the Twin Jets. Things I don't like quite as well are that they are a bit bigger and harder to pack, and that they show scratches and scuffs more than my wife's Twin Jets.

Being a new diver and only having the Twin Jets for a few dives in a pool, I can't really give you any comparison on finning effort, etc.

Hi bigonderi,
I also find the material used in the manufacture of the Mares Quattro's very soft and easily scratched with little to no resistance to abrasion.
Regards

I've tried the Volvo and the Dacor Tiger.... I like the Volvo better...just a thought. :eek:ut:

I just went on a couple dives this weekend and was able to try both the Volos and the Atomic split fins. The boat had a few pairs of "demos" for people to try - I was thrilled, as I was looking into both the Volos and the Atomics, but hadn't been able to test either previously.

I tried the Volos on the first dive, the Atomics on the second. While I doubt I could give you an opinion that you could really use, I personally found the Atomics to be better for me. No problem maneuvering, noticeably less effort on my part to keep up with the guys I was diving with (which sometimes is a problem). I did notice the necessity of different kicking styles for each - and while both sets of fins are a vast improvement of what I've got now, I found the Atomics to be a little easier for me to use. Of course, that could be due to the differing conditions at each dive site (one had strong current, the other had strong surge), so I will probably try them again in a few weeks (and switch the sites that I used them at) to make sure the Atomics are what I really want.

Back
Top Bottom