Question Spirit Catheters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can push the surplus up the barb easily enough so you don't need to cut it.

Keep the hose long so it goes over the waistband of your underpants = no kinking.

The main thing with catheters is making sure that they're placed far enough on "the old chap" and you roll the whole glued area down. With really cold conditions "the old chap" will do its tortoise impressions. It's well worth trimming the forest lest pain ensues.

Well I push the barb all the way on the quick connect and I've still had the tip of the catheter kink. It still worked, but there was back pressure which caused minor discomfort. Now I cut the tip so the barb takes up the whole top = no kinking.

I take it over the pants from the top... the hose kinking has never been an issue.

I guess I'll try the Spirit..

Fun fact... in the super cold last weekend I could not get the quick connect to connect, the o ring was frozen. Had to get in the car and rub some spit on it:D

You can push the surplus up the barb easily enough so you don't need to cut it.

Keep the hose long so it goes over the waistband of your underpants = no kinking.

The main thing with catheters is making sure that they're placed far enough on "the old chap" and you roll the whole glued area down. With really cold conditions "the old chap" will do its tortoise impressions. It's well worth trimming the forest lest pain ensues.

THIS...

Any issues with Spirit and wearing them for the better part of the day? I usually put my catheter on in the morning along with my 2 piece undergarment that way I'm pretty ready... no fussing around on the boat, just suit up and go.. That means the catheter is on for the better part of 8-12 hours.

THIS what? Trimming or turtling?, LOL

Just agree 100% with what @Wibble said. I dont cut mine and I wear it long hose over the waistband. trim up.. pull it way down on the old chap to make sure there is no issues.

I have worn mine for 8 hours before no issues. I make sure to be washed up good before I put it on and wash well after taking it off.

Just agree 100% with what @Wibble said. I dont cut mine and I wear it long hose over the waistband. trim up.. pull it way down on the old chap to make sure there is no issues.

I have worn mine for 8 hours before no issues. I make sure to be washed up good before I put it on and wash well after taking it off.

I think @lexvil had a point though, depending on which system you use the barb might be longer / shorter? I know my barb only goes about 1/2 into the catheter and leaves a good amount of space in between. I can't push it on more if I tried. I bought the quick disconnects with the check valve in the female side from McMaster Carr.

I had picked up a bunch of 5012K68 years ago but I see the one you got 5012K83 has a flow control. Very nice. Guess I will be purchasing some new ones. Thanks

I had picked up a bunch of 5012K68 years ago but I see the one you got 5012K83 has a flow control. Very nice. Guess I will be purchasing some new ones. Thanks
They were recommended to me by @stuartv.

They have the check valve so you just need to worry about the little bit that's left in the catheter with a rag or napkin. Easy clean up (I'm saying this more for anyone reading, not necessarily you, I think you understand all that).

Also it was suggested to get multiple male sides. So far out of 5 I think I have 3 or 4 left. They do seem to walk away when packing up to leave:)

Just wanted to give a quick update. I tried the Spirit catheter on Sat. Did everything I was supposed to do.. wiped with alcohol. Donned it at the house like I normally do with Rochester. It felt flimsy. Drove to the dive site and went to use a regular bathroom and it was already 1/2 unglued. Theres no way it would have lasted the day. It looked like a Rochester at the end of the day ~ 8 hours later. It had been maybe 1.5hrs. I took it off and went back to Rochester.

Bummer, I really wanted these to work. Maybe there's different "grades" of Spirit? Idk... the box I got did not work for me. Bit the bullet and ordered more Rochester.

Are Conveens popular in the US?

The Rochesters (now Bard) are kind of heavy duty and stick very well.
Conveens are in a smaller package and are made out of a different silicone material than the Rochesters. They have a "helper" tag to help roll them down the old chap. Whilst they're lighter, I've grown to trust them as much as Rochesters. Conveens seem to come off a little less painfully than the Rochesters.

I've used mainly Rochesters for several hundred dives and the Conveens for circa 50 dives. Have never had a leak from them.

For both I use a barbed quick disconnect which is a valve on the pee valve pipe. This means only the urine in the 'teat' and plastic barb could spill. In reality I go to the back of the boat and pull the "teat" off the barb and shake both ends overboard. I'll then take several mouthfuls of water and blow through the pee valve hose so it flushes through with water and then air. Repeat several times

I couldn't give a monkeys cuss what the other people on the boat think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom