SPG hose too short?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrjcrickett:
Old habits die hard, I look at mine every couple of minutes.

James

Once you learn to profile your dive in your head every 5 minutes or so you'll start to know how much gas you have left without even looking at your gauge. You will also learn to tell how much gas your buddy has left without looking at his gauge. It will take some practice, but it's a good skill to have. :)

fasorud:
It's the only way I can reach the valves :(
So you get a hose that is longer than required to compensate for bands being in the wrong place, which is there to compensate what? Lack of flexibility? Bad fitting Drysuit and/or undergarments. What next. A slob winder?

Try to solve the original problem and the other issues go away.

JeffG:
So you get a hose that is longer than required to compensate for bands being in the wrong place, which is there to compensate what? Lack of flexibility? Bad fitting Drysuit and/or undergarments. What next. A slob winder?

Try to solve the original problem and the other issues go away.

hmmm...that's pretty harsh but nonetheless an interesting post. Let's see:

Underwear: DUI CF400. Pretty thick, and I have to admit that it does make me pretty inflexible, as compared to the 200. Considering the water temp, the 400 is my only choice.

Drysuit. I want to think that it fits me very well. Neither loose nor tight.

Lack of flexibility body wise? I don't think so unless your definition of flexibility is being a contortionist.

Maybe some/all of Jeff's points are indeed contributing to the problem, but what if that is not the case? Why is using a slightly longer hose such a big deal?

fasorud:
It's the only way I can reach the valves :(
Maybe you could try to practice proper movement to reach the valves (arch your back, etc.). On the other hand if you're in good trim I believe it's OK.

fasorud:
Maybe some/all of Jeff's points are indeed contributing to the problem, but what if that is not the case? Why is using a slightly longer hose such a big deal?
It was not meant to be harsh, but if you look at what is happening, you are making gear choices to compensate for a previous weakness and if you don't see the convolution with this, then I can't help you. Pretty soon you will be saying that you need to use ankle weights because your tanks are too high and they make you head heavy. All of these problems wouldn't exist if you were able to manipulate your valves.

So its not the "longer hose" that is the big deal, its your "solutions".

I think I agree with JeffG... if you have your bands that low to accomodate a lack of flexibility, you need to take a look at the root problem.. your flexibility.

I would bet that you would have no problem reaching the valves if the bands were higher and you were wearing a thin wetsuit.. If you have exposure protection that limits your arm movement severely, then you have to end up moving the bands lower on the tanks to reach the valves, which can in turn cause other problems.. like "my hose is too short!"

This is what I was hinting at in post 8, and JeffG did a good job of explaining it.

I understand what you are saying, but you know, there are many other ways to phrase it. Although you said "it was not meant to be harsh..." it still comes across like that when you utilize a comment like, "I can't help you". You, egotistically none the less, may know a lot about diving with doubles, but without showing a bit of courtesy, you turn people off of what you are saying and more toward the idea of being harsh. Now, some may consider me to be to be a hypocrite, but why don't you consider what the forum is supposed to be used for on an objective basis. Thank you.

JeffG:
It was not meant to be harsh, but if you look at what is happening, you are making gear choices to compensate for a previous weakness and if you don't see the convolution with this, then I can't help you. Pretty soon you will be saying that you need to use ankle weights because your tanks are too high and they make you head heavy. All of these problems wouldn't exist if you were able to manipulate your valves.

So its not the "longer hose" that is the big deal, its your "solutions".

I am going to move the bands back up to the shoulder of the tanks and mess with it this weekend.

Any DIR people going to DUI Demo day at Mermet Springs this weekend PM me :) I'd love to get some gear advice from someone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom