SPG for Technical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
Purchasing gear and planning to progress towards technical diving. Is there much difference between SPG's on the market? Looking at Scubapro and Halcyon as that is what the LDS sells. Both are brass construction but Scubapro is enclosed in a plastic/rubber casing. Looks like all the tech divers use SPG's without a plastic case, any reasons? I would think the plastic casing would offer more protection.

look for an all metal large face (3") pressure gauge as your primary SPG. no covers or boots so you can see if there is a leak and where it is coming from. i use dive rite, but any brand is fine. small faced (1") gauges are adequate for bailout or deco bottles.

cheers,

--c

Brass and glass... no need for boots or condoms. It is much easier to inspect without all the extra stuff covering it up. Go with a 2" face (never heard of a 3" so I assume thats just a typo) so you have no trouble seeing it in dark or limited vis conditions.

DR, H, Hog, SP all make nice ones. I prefer Hog because I just want plain white background... no color coding for me.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom