Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... guys like @100days-a-year and @Johnoly were (no offense fellas). They are also Florida commercial fishermen and have been for a long time....

..... You don't care about pictures. You're not trying to get people to go on your charter..

@IncreaseMyT ,,,us commercial guys don't post pictures (but we do take them)...Pictures just bring alot of unwanted attention to our dive sites and favorite areas and we really don't need people following us (but they do). We let all the recreational guys post pictures of fish. Pictures never tell the real story. It takes years of diving, taking detailed notes and talking to fellow commercial guys to understand where to go, what's been hit, and who & what is going to the scales. Back on the topic of lionfish,,,,it's getting much harder to find the large quantities and we are having to push much deeper (100+) than previous years to find the total weights we need. Does this mean LF's are being controlled finally??? We don't know yet. So many environmental factors are in play but this summer should give us another big chunk of information from talking to everyone on all 3 sides of Florida.

@IncreaseMyT ,,,us commercial guys don't post pictures (but we do take them)...Pictures just bring alot of unwanted attention to our dive sites and favorite areas and we really don't need people following us (but they do). We let all the recreational guys post pictures of fish.

I understand exactly how it works, in fact that's who taught me how to spear, the commercial guys over here. Some of which are the best spearfisherman in FL, according to the Florida Spearfishing Tournament Leaderboard.

My point is that when you go out on hook and line and come back to the dock and string up a 500 pound Sea Bass in plain view, there are tons of people with cameras there and a lot of people are going to take pictures of it. So that increases the likelihood of those pictures being in circulation.

The study you guys posted is a retrospective study, basically as I mentioned earlier just an observation from a single POV, a thesis. Its not fact, and there are flaws. Not saying you can't learn from it, but it just doesn't prove the point, which I don't even know what the point is anymore. One poster is claiming trawlers, another says its rec hook and line, and another says its commercial hook and line lol

If you look back at the Sea Bass in CA, there was a report of a handful of guys going to Catalina and shooting 7x 500 lb Sea Bass, and selling it. That is what brought CA to make spearing them illegal, when they found holes in the carcasses. So it was def happening a lot, but there were no pictures of the fish. And yes they were free divers.

And I agree on the lion fish, we don't see them until we get to 100 feet usually. Even then they are not very thick.

I am out on the conversation until people are willing or can extrapolate on their citations in their own words. I don't come to a forum to read other peoples links, I come to have a discussion.

I understand exactly how it works, in fact that's who taught me how to spear, the commercial guys over here. Some of which are the best spearfisherman in FL, according to the Florida Spearfishing Tournament Leaderboard.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Not even close to being the best commercial guys in Florida.Most of those guys don't belong to forums and post very little other than a few pics on FB occasionally.

Best sporties who participated,a few part time commercial guys.And most of those top percent are friends of mine.Some have worked for me.Tournament shooting is not even in the same ballpark.That is awesome,I'm going to screenshot this one for posterity.You may be the next Genesis:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then let’s see your 55 inch black buddy

how about some 50 inch AP’s?

BTW, Florida Spearfishing Tournament is a year long tournament, not a single day. The biggest fish of the year in FL claim the leaderboard throne. Really hard to beat the commercial guys, because they go out so often.

For all this talk that you know everything about spearing in FL, to me it sounds like you don’t know much at all

Just in case you were wondering what a 55 inch black with a couple holes in it (cause it is gonna take more than one) looks like:

#dillysseafood

53139031-2207555832598577-8027579375585067008-n.jpg

No Cubera on the West Coast they said....... #howdeep #offshorenaples

56196617-10216329830589888-4751608425069150208-o.jpg

PS both of those fish were shot in the last month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom