Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually have a friend that grew up spearing in New Smyrna, he has always told me how fishy it is up there. Shark bite capital of the world.

I am actually headed up there this year, was gonna try to get on that Black leaderboard :) Gonna be hard to beat that 55 incher, up there might be able to. I hear too up there you only gotta go 25-35 miles offshore and my boat is perfect for that.

You are more than welcome to come when I do go :) Nice talking with you.

W
Ok ok I know thats a tall mountain to climb. Can you at least match this Mutton? #howdeep #offshorenaples #alldaywei Genesis? :laughrant: "Not even close" he said :poke:

View attachment 513201

You're well on your way to very impressive deltoid development - Keep it up!

56191320-10109136420901121-3190203906768502784-n-jpg.513201.jpg

Thats not me. This thread went way off track. That is Bill the Captain of Offshore Naples. He doesn't usually get to get in the water and spear he has to be the bubble beach :)

Hold the phone, man. You're asking him in a condescending way to post pics of fish he's caught and then posting pics of other guys? WTF?

Yea absolutely. This whole argument started when I explained to johnoly that I understand how commercial fisherman are about their pics. That I learned how to spearfish with commercial guys. I said they are some of the best in FL according to Florida Spearfishing Tournament. 100 days a year was the one who mocked me and said these guys aren't anything close to the best and that I have no idea what I am talking about. I never made this a chinese fire drill, you both did, and you lost miserably.

So I posted the fish on the Florida Spearfishing Tournament leaderboard to prove my point, because almost all of the fish on the leaderboard, get shot over here on the numbers my buddy got off the guy who told me about the Jewfish.

I don't know if your reading comprehension is bad or you just feel threatened in some way, but your personal attacks have all been met with substantiation.

Not to mention that the whole point of your study and 100 days study is that pics prove spearos didnt shoot the Jewfish. Then he said he doesnt take pics of a black's less than 100 pounds proving exactly the point I was trying to make. You really can't make this up lol.

PS even a 55 incher doesn't weigh 100 pounds. The state record is just over 100 and it was taken at the Dry Tortugas.

Like I said, when your T is low it is hard to concentrate. Get checked fellas.

Florida spearfishing is a pretty small circle of guys. Most of us know who each other are, especially with social media. Anthony's fish is outstanding. Too bad he couldn't have saved it for the SPO, but I wouldn't have been able to resist either and there's no telling it would still be there.

No one is picking on you, but calling guys out who have a good rep. in the sport and then posting pics of other guys? You had to know someone would raz you. That's like me calling you out and then posting Headhunter pics and implying they are me. I would get called out in a New York minute.

And you are absolutely right about most com. guys do not share images with the public. FWIW, for some guys, 100# carbos are just another day in the office for the deep water commercial guys. They aren't entering fish into tournaments, they're making a living.

I would have never even said it if he wasn't giving me a hard time, I even invited the guy on my boat after I saw his pics lol And heard about his friends, because that must be rough I can't imagine I have yet to lose a close personal friend. I never implied they were me either, I even tagged them. Anthony also shot that fish on Bill's boat, which is related to the entire backstory.

But seriously lets be honest, he has been scrutinizing everything I said since the beginning, and all I said was that's not what I heard, and that's not what I see.

You know he never said at the beginning "I have been spearing forever and what I am telling you comes from personal experience", instead he gave some "studies". If he would have told me that I would have found that a lot more credible than that study. We all know that stuff wasn't being tracked on Goliath, they were considered a "mysterious" fish at the time. We also all know Goliath are susceptible to spears cause they like shallower water. Maybe the hook and line commercial guys did decimate the population, but that study sure doesn't prove it. We also can most definitely agree that pics from the 70's prove little to nothing.

But seriously lets be honest, he has been scrutinizing everything I said since the beginning

It's been a long winter, man. We all just need some bottom time. I'm scheduled to get out Sunday and developed a cold yesterday. Depressed is an understatement. Hoping this passes by the weekend.

@100days-a-year I'm hoping you'll post the story of the accident. Still boatless?

How do you plan on spearing these lionfish? With a pole spear or speargun? A speargun is pretty much useless for lionfish because they are rarely out in the open. However, a pole spear is very effective. You can use the spear to position the fish away from the reef so you don’t damage anything when you shoot. I say go for it. Kill them and eat them. Lionfish ceviche!

To kill or not to kill lionfish in the Caribbean and Florida?

https://www.makospearguns.com/Traveler-Pole-Spear-p/mtps.htm

99% of the lionfish I've speared (50+ and counting) have been shot with a 60" speargun.

Back
Top Bottom