Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B. The only Joe shmo reciting garbage off the internet is the guy with low t.

"Estimates of recreational landings of jewfish are available only since 1979 (table 6) through the MRFSS, however since the jewfish is a relatively rare species the MRFSS sampling protocol does not provide precise estimates. Therefore the varying estimates of harvest amount per year, fishing areas, and fishing modes, are difficult to interpret for apparent trends."

LOL yea nice find man :laughrant:

"
Etimates of recreational landings of jewfish are available only since 1979 (table 6) through the MRFSS, however since the jewfish is a relatively rare species the MRFSS is sampling protocol does not provide precise estimates. Therefore the varying estimates of harvest amount per year, fishing areas, and fishing modes, are difficult to interpret for apparent trends."

LOL yea nice find man :laughrant:

We're way off topic, but for shits and giggles, what "studies" do you have to support your statement that...

in the 70's their population dropped so much because spear fisherman were taking them all.

:wink:

We're way off topic, but for shits and giggles, what "studies" do you have to support your statement that...

:wink:

I never said I had any, you guys are the ones that said you did. Research is actually my specialty, this study does not prove your assertion, whatsoever. I have already seen all this stuff.

Anyone gonna look into my claim about the black sea bass in CA?? You can extrapolate quite a bit, very similar circumstances.

What I am really interested in now are the gut studies data on Goliath Grouper, I would LOVE to learn how they came to the conclusion their primary diet is crustaceans lol

I never said I had any, you guys are the ones that said you did. Research is actually my speciality, this study does not prove your assertion, whatsoever. I have already seen all this stuff.

Anyone gonna look into to buy claim about the black sea bass in CA?? You can extrapolate quite a bit, very similar circumstances.

Here's the thing, according to your profile you weren't alive in the 70's, but guys like @100days-a-year and @Johnoly were (no offense fellas). They are also Florida commercial fishermen and have been for a long time.

Regardless, we are way off topic. To the OP, you should kill and eat the invasive lionfish in your waters. Perhaps where you live your fisheries mangers will realize their flaws on banning method of take and instead focus on actual catch. Freediving for lionfish wouldn't put a dent into a breeding population.

I was not alive in the 70's. What does that have to do the back story I learned on how many of the goliath grouper were taken? Also if you listen to me and research black bass you will realize there is more evidence for those, and a lot of the info can be extrapolated and substantiates what I was told by the men who shot many of the goliath's. Where do you think I got my numbers from? Defo not public.

You guys were the ones jumping on my back, with "internet knowledge" that doesn't even prove your point. Not surprised, just surprised it was you.

I was not alive in the 70's. What does that have to do the back story I learned on how many of the goliath grouper were taken? Also if you listen to me and research black bass you will realize there is more evidence for those, and a lot of the info can be extrapolated and substantiates what I was told by the men who shot many of the goliath's. Where do you think I got my numbers from? Defo not public.

You guys were the ones jumping on my back, with "internet knowledge" that doesn't even prove your point. Not surprised, just surprised it was you.
No jumping on your back, man. It's just conversation, killing time. :wink:

Ok cool :)

No one really knows what happened to the Giant Sea Bass and the Goliath Grouper. They all just vanished and everyone was like oh crap what just happened. Back then they weren't keeping track of them really. As you can see by the study "100 days a year" posted.

But a couple things support that spear fisherman were a big part of it. Rumors and back stories aside, remember you do not need a tank to shoot goliath or black sea bass. Most other really large fish, unless you can hold your breath for 5 minutes, your gonna need a tank ( in the CA bank and FL coast environment).

So in the 70's would it have been easier to to go spear a big fish like that or hook and line? Hook and line you need lots of equipment, in the 70's I am sure it was very expensive for big rigs. Also you need a boat and bait.

To go spear a goliath or black sea bass you only gotta dive down 25 feet, and a lot of times, not even that deep. This makes them very susceptible to spears back then.

The pictures could easily be explained that way too, the reason there are not a lot pictures cause this guy was out in the water speared this fish and brought it in, wasn't necessarily on a dock or anything. If your hook and line and taking charters out you come back to the dock and show off your catch and a bunch of people are gonna take pictures of that. So there would be more evidence of hook and line catches.

Also if you start spearing these things all the time, and selling them. You don't care about pictures. You're not trying to get people to go on your charter.

Any kind of artificial structure you will see Goliath, especially closer to shore for some reason. If you look at the very few you find on the natural reefs, they are always underneath a ledge.

For the specieses of fish mentioned here, the names can mean:
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephelus itajara :: jewfish / Atlantic goliath grouper
* Argyrosomus japonicus - Wikipedia :: mulloway jewfish (in eastern Australia)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandanus tandanus :: jewfish / eel-tailed catfish
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaucosoma hebraicum :: jewfish / West Australian dhufish
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephelus quinquefasciatus :: Pacific goliath grouper
See also:-
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephelus lanceolatus :: Giant grouper

The giant grouper has been said to grow to much more than ten feet / 3 meters long, and big enough to swallow a man.

I suspect that their natural habitat when big was under ledges, as in the message above; when one grew too big to hide that way, sharks made an end of it; that controlled their size. Man sinking wrecks in the sea gave them new hiding places; that and killing sharks let them grow much bigger than before.

Jewfish - Wikipedia :: is a disambiguation page.

Back
Top Bottom