Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what are the stats that sharks will show up??is it a high chance...

I have speared fish for about a year go all the time and have only seen one shark with 0 intrest in me. certain places are notorious for sharks and others are not. there is always the possibility but it shouldn't keep you from doing it just be prepared if the chance arised. you do have the gun and I always am packing a .223 ph. if they get too curious and I feel a threat they will die

First off, Avanti ARE NOT FREEDIVING FINS. they are decent scuba and snorkling finds at best. A frameless mask is NOT needed, rather get any low volume mask that fits. Biller guns are heavy, clunky and non-hydrodynmic. fine for the slow moving bubble blower but a Pain in the *** for a freediver. check out some of the Euroguns on the market (Omer & Rob Allen are nice) or some or Riffe or Wong;s teak masterpeaces. a UDT Vest? HUH? forget the vest.

My, trendy aren't we? The Avanti Tre FF fin is a lot more efficient than those long fins. Tests have shown the long fins don't do anything like what is claimed. On the other hand, the Tre won some important SCUBALAB tests against other full foot fins.

The Biller 48 is a reliable wood gun for free divers. The Billers are accurate and convenient to use. They cannot leak and go negative. With the excellent semi open loop muzzle they are readily adaptable to different situations. Wood construction allows easy attachment of accessories like reels.

The "euro" guns are gussied up arbaletes, expensive tube guns with no cocking stock, and consequently difficult to load. They are as accurate as the Biller but almost all of them become subject to modifications such as the hammerhead muzzle, etc, just to make them practical in the real world. Wong and Riffe? Give me a break. Gun aficionados go on and on about those expensive pieces but a new diver would be better off with the Biller. He can trade up later.

About the UDT vest, don't blame me if you drown. Not everybody wears a big, puffy, buoyant, rubber suit.

SCUBALAB? HAHHAHA, most biased p.o.s. reports ever.

well, since scuba lab says so I'm goignt o go tell all those world record holding freedivers using longfins that they are using garbage and should go with a Avanti HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

yes yes, expensive Euro guns... impractical... yes yes. you really don't have a clue do you? a Omer T20 is available for around $200 and is easy to load, and being a single band a Euro is FASTER to reload. Hammer Head muzzles to make them practical? HAHAHAHA they alow for more bands, but the average euro with a single wrap and a single 20mm band will slay fish just fine :D

freedive spearfished in just boardshorts for years, never drowed :D "UDT" vest will do nothing but slow you down and add another peice of kit to get a line tangled on :D

as for the biller. funny thing about reels, I have had quite a few non-wood guns over the years, a few with reels even! and the reel ft just fine, and unlike wood, I didn;t have to drill anything! I also didn;t have to oil it :D or worry about scratches.

now remember boys and girls, Euroguns are impractical ! http://www.freedive.net/ibsrc/fish_frms/b_marlin.htm
have a look at all the large pelagics taken with euroguns on the world record list! better email all those guys and tell them they need a PRACTICAL gun!

Lotsa pissing & moaning over gear selection, considering the guy hasn't said whether he wants to freedive or scuba hunt, nor where at, under what conditions or for what probable species.

Too much unknown to be making specific gun recommendations just yet.

Test, board regulator, please delete repeat posts.

I think it is a safe assumption he is not freediving if he dives st augustine. I live here and it is very non conducive to freediving as the vis is garbage usually until you hit the 80 to 100'+ depths and saying he is looking for a starter package I am guessing he wont be hunting in the 80' range. just my observation for all I know he might be a 100' hero lol. As for the long fins I recently bought them for scuba as there ar many competitive scuba shooters using them that love them. I was skepticle but after diving with someone using them and having them haul *** away from me on every dive I decided to get a set. I have to say that the cressi gara 2000 hf longblades absolutely rule. I did 2 dives on sunday and at one point came up 200 yds from the boat down current and actually swam back for the first time with excellent results. I know this could not have happened in my scubapro twin jets or my other scuba pro fins. I also was ablet to traverse the wreck 3 times on one dive and it was a large wreck. scoff all you want I will never dive short stubby fins again.

Ironhed, I tend to agree that the guy is a tanker. That being the case, St. Augustine, you may also consider a metal tube gun such as the JBL. Metal guns are better for dragging around wrecks and reefs whereas wood guns such as the Biller, although they were originally developed for freedivers (Seahornet, Australia), can be used for this purpose, but a gun which can be flooded and laid on the bottom is preferred by some tankers.You might be able to save some money by picking up a 4-5 foot long JBL HD (heavy duty) type gun on the net. Install two heavy bands or three light bands. The JBL detachable rock point is high quality and may be useful for this. Get the 5/16 arrow. A reel is not as useful for bubble divers but can save the day if the fish holes up and you need to surface. On the surface, remove your little sausage float and tie it to the gun. Swim to the boat to regroup and debrief. (I normally tie off my UDT vest when this happens). The Euro guns are also metal but they may lack the flexibility and adaptability to power down (uncock one band) or to quick change bands. The JBL is very sturdy, strong trigger, and has a good safety. JBL sells a reel kit for the tube guns. Euro parts can be hard to find but any shop in Fla will probably supply you with a Biller or JBL type rubber band and other parts are available.

pescador775:
The Euro guns are also metal but they may lack the flexibility and adaptability to power down (uncock one band) or to quick change bands. Euro parts can be hard to find but any shop in Fla will probably supply you with a Biller or JBL type rubber band and other parts are available.

Euroguns are currently made in Aluminum, Titanium, teak and Carbon Fiber

many people hunting around mixed reef/open water will put 2x16mm on a Euro, Vs. the single 20mm, giving them the option of powering down.

Florida freedivers (one example) stocks many euro guns and parts.

I can chage bands on my euros in less then 5mins.

While I'll agree a JBL or the like is better for a bubbleblower, you are off in space when it comes to Euro guns. any other Euro misconceptions or ignorant statements you need debunked?

Back
Top Bottom