Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speargun,stringer,knife and mostly a rule/ID book or visits to the FWC and SAMFC websites.A boat is nice too.:wink:

I dive in this area and I would suggest a 42" to 48" minimum size gun. stringer I like to use a H.O.D. or hoop of death ray odor sells them on his web site alot of shops should have them it is a stringer made of nothing but stainless steel rod and can be operated one handed.

Try a polespear at first, gets you accustomed to sizing up the fish and getting accustomed to aiming.

You need to contact one or more spearfishermen, in person. Hard as it is to believe, I've seen newbies who didn't understand the operation of a band gun after examining it.

You need to decide what kind of diver you will be, freediver or tanker. Regardless of this, it is possible to make some general recommendations.

If you are a freediver, get a pair of Avanti tre fins and a frameless mask. Buy a pair thin neoprene socks, not boots. Get a CO2 vest (UDT vest) Get a plain tube snorkel, no valves or stuff like that. The old Dacor with flex tube was great. If you are right handed, wear the snorkel on the left. Purchase a Biller 48 mahogany with three notch arrow and detachable head. Purchase an Australian reel from Spearfishing Specialties, (but not the gun). Purchase a rubber belt from Trident. Weight yourself for neutral at 15 feet. Purchase Jersey Hobknob brown gloves, with rubber dots, tight fit. The stringer should be a steel spike. Make it yourself, 7 1/2 inches length, 1/4 SS round. Drill the spike 3/32, ( NOT in the middle of the spike). Make the sharp end 1 inch longer than the blunt end. Tie into this a 4 foot length of 3/32 kevar line. If you are right handed, tie the bitter end to a swivel attached to your belt on the left side. Wrap the line across your back and wind the line around a lead weight on your right. Stick the spike into the gap between the weight and the belt. If it is tight, file away a bit of lead.

If you are a tank diver, Buy the same stuff except employ your preferred fins and buoyancy device. You may wish to forgo the reel until later.

100days-a-year:
Speargun,stringer,knife and mostly a rule/ID book or visits to the FWC and SAMFC websites.A boat is nice too.:wink:
i wanted to know what a stringer is???:06: i have a cressi commanche 90 it is a pretty nice and light weight.... i also have a knife... working on a boat.... i have the whole collection of the reef id books.... and also have the regulations from FWC....have no idea what a stringer is.....lol can u please enlighten me...

Its the hook or spike with a line attached that you 'string' through a fish to keep it attached to you after you take the fish. Some of em look like big paperclips too :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Its the hook or spike with a line attached that you 'string' through a fish to keep it attached to you after you take the fish. Some of em look like big paperclips too :)
thanks for the info.... now i need to go find one of those....

seriously you should consider a metal hod as a stringer it is also used to finish off the fish you basically run it in one eye and out the other this usually scrambles the brain of the fish. the only time you dont string them through the eyes is on a trigger fish as they will bite the hell out of you strung. I like the one handed type as you can keep the shaft in the fish and string them at the same time. the metal hod is also a kill spike as the sticker is pointed to drive its way through the fish. dont buy the metal stringer that has the plastic handle those really suck compared to the all metal hod.

Run sheepshead through the mouth as well, they aren't afraid to bite after strung and they have some crazy man-teeth in their mouth...

Back
Top Bottom